[SOLVED] HP 200 G1 MT Business PC - graphic card recommendations

Nate Dogg

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
So my wife just inherited a HP 200 G1 MT business pc from her old job.
What recommendations do you guys have for this?

I assume we should go for a PCI video card and not the PCIe slot?

Solution
So I also ended up ordering a new HP 300 watt power supply ($55) that the HP 3400 MT requires and a new 2 GB Ati Radeon HD 7570 PCIe x 16 graphics card ($87.00) that I found online.

Total Spent: $55 + 55+ 87 = $197.00

I think I found a replacement for the motherboard. Now I am asking if it has a full PCI express slot.
I have a total of 6 spots for screws, and this motherboard looks better.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123794633163?ViewItem=&item=123794633163

Edit... the link went to an ended item.

To be honest here, if you can't tell that the motherboard has or does not have a PCIe slot by looking at it, you should not be doing any of this. You spent $200 on who knows what, including spending almost $100 on a...

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Video card for the PCI slot? Don't bother, not worth the money, effort, or time. If this what is looks like on the inside...
Reference: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883281666

83-281-666-06.jpg

That thing was never meant to go and do great stuff.

What do you want a graphics card for? What's your intended usage?

At best, you've got a quad core Atom J2850 CPU with a 10W TDP from 2013. Adding a GPU isn't magically going to make it perform well.

The only physical way to scab a GPU into that box is with an x1 PCIe riser. No guarantees that will work at all, not to mention the GPU won't perform as well as its supposed to because of the single lane it's limited to. Also, no guarantees your mobo will even recognize it, let alone push a display through it. This only option would simply be a "because I can" experiment that a computer nerd would try whilst using parts on hand just for fun.

Last edited:
You seem to be adamant about trying this, so lets dance. I like experiments. I should also say that none of this is guaranteed to work, nor to work well enough for a good gaming experience. But I'll try to give you the best shot at success instead of wasting money on things that are guaranteed NOT to work.

What country do you live in?

Throwing out GPU names doesn't mean much. A new/current gen GPU will be your best bet from a performance/power efficiency standpoint.

As I said previously, since you're working with closed-ended PCIex1 slots that are only rated for 10W, you'll need a PCIe riser, similar to what crypto miners use (Here's an example). Because of that, you're going to need a "low-profile" GPU in order to get it mounted to the back of the case. This is assuming your case isn't so narrow as to require a low profile card already. If that's the case, we're in trouble.

Also, please provide the width (side to side across the back face) of the case.

Last edited:

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
That GT730 is a PCI-E board, not a PCI. It is just not going to fit. Using the PCIex1 and a PCIe riser is only going to be seriously difficult, and you still have the problem of physically fitting. It will be a lot work with no certainty of good results, and even if things are operational, you are still not going to get the performance you really want. Unless you are just trying to do some super cheap crypto mining experiments where you are guaranteed to lose more money on power because of the lack of efficiency there is really no good outcome.

what about this? http://viewmax.us/gt-720-2gb-gddr3/
lower requirements

That is a basic use system made with basically a laptop motherboard with a soldered CPU and laptop RAM. You can't even move the CPU and RAM to another system which would have been an option with a more standard desktop PC. You are better off spending $100-150 to get a better tower system with a 16x slot and a 300watt power supply instead of trying to get a cheap card into a cheap computer for gaming. Two piles of junk is not better than one pile of something decent.

Donate that computer you got to a school or library or something, it may sell for $50 on craigslist also.

Reactions: crystalcity

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
I hate to poo poo this as I love old trashy systems (typing this on an x5260) but poo poo. You can buy better systems to add a gpu on for $50 or less. Way better way to go. Get like an i3-2100 or i5-2400 tower system... then throw in a gtx750 or rx460. So cheap and will work fine.

Nate Dogg

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
Current Power supply sits in a bezel/sleeve
I measured the demensions of the existing power supply.
It can’t be no more than:
Length: 5 1/4 inches
Width: 5 3/4 inches
Height: 3 1/2 inches

Nate Dogg

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
So I also ended up ordering a new HP 300 watt power supply ($55) that the HP 3400 MT requires and a new 2 GB Ati Radeon HD 7570 PCIe x 16 graphics card ($87.00) that I found online.

I think I found a replacement for the motherboard. Now I am asking if it has a full PCI express slot.
I have a total of 6 spots for screws, and this motherboard looks better.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123794633163?ViewItem=&item=123794633163

Edit... the link went to an ended item.

To be honest here, if you can't tell that the motherboard has or does not have a PCIe slot by looking at it, you should not be doing any of this. You spent $200 on who knows what, including spending almost $100 on a video card that is half as fast as a modern new video card of the same price like an RX 550 or GT 1030. And for the same price on a used nVidia 1050 or 560 you would have gotten a video card 3-4 times faster.

Also spending $55 on an OEM lower wattage PSU when that same money or less would get a better quality power supply with higher output that would enable a much better video card to be used.

You asked a question then ignored all the answers and spent your money on the wrong items. If you can return the stuff you got, return it.

Last edited:
Solution
^ I had this same response typed up. However, the second (third?) time I clicked the link, it rerouted to a 3400MT board with a PCIe x16 slot, an i5-2300, and 4GB RAM included(?) Not sure what the OP even got.

I agree the PSU and GPU were a raw deal though.

Last edited: