HP 5100c won't scan

I have a P166 clone,running win98.I will get a new computer one day
soon,but miss my ability to scan. My 5011c recently started making a
horrible grinding noise after it did it's scan,but still scanned
okay.Now,it makes the same grinding noise,but I don't get anything
when I try to scan a document.
I have been told that it is not worth repairing my old clunker,which
has given me faithful service for 7 years.I am wondering if I have a
software problem,or a hardware problem.
Has anyone else had similar problems with this scanner?
Thanks! :lol:

==============

"Newbeak" <mdowling@sprint-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have a P166 clone,running win98.I will get a new computer one day
> soon,but miss my ability to scan. My 5011c recently started making a
> horrible grinding noise after it did it's scan,but still scanned
> okay.Now,it makes the same grinding noise,but I don't get anything
> when I try to scan a document.
> I have been told that it is not worth repairing my old clunker,which
> has given me faithful service for 7 years.I am wondering if I have a
> software problem,or a hardware problem.
> Has anyone else had similar problems with this scanner?
> Thanks! :lol:
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.
Yes, I had experience with one--a 5100C, as you posted in heading, not
in your message. Bought it when it was "top of the line"= BIG bucks, for
me. Didn't buy extended warranty--after all I was buying the best! It
lasted approx. 13 months, & their(HP) quote to repair was almost identical
to what I could buy the same scanner for, brand new at that time. NOT!
Sorry to bad-mouth, but u wanted facts.
Consider yours paid for & owing no more svc--7 years! Wow! Bet you
paid like $300 for it--get a better-operating one now for 1/3 that? 1/2?
Good luck, s