HP 5L Replacement ?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement monochrome B&W laser
printer ? I am looking to replace my old and tired HP 5L.

~Howard

Anyone ?

"Howard R. Silverstein" wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement monochrome B&W laser
> printer ? I am looking to replace my old and tired HP 5L.
>
> ~Howard

Look at the new HP, Brother, and Samsung models.

Howard R. Silverstein wrote:

>Anyone ?
>

>"Howard R. Silverstein" wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement monochrome B&W laser
>>printer ? I am looking to replace my old and tired HP 5L.
>>
>>~Howard

o How fast do you want to go?
---- re ppm, dpi, paper bin capacity
o How much are the consumables per page?
---- this can vary widely from HPs relatively large count
o Can the toner cartridges be refilled & how easily?
---- some small Samsungs just use a bung in the toner cartridge
---- remove bung, pour in £9$ of toner, repeat re developer drum life

Modern lasers are very quick - 12ppm+ isn't difficult.

So if you often print a fair size of document, you may want to look
at printer bin size (adjust re paper weight so comparing like with like).

If you use special papers or labels, check paper path - a straight
through path can be useful, as well as reviews on how it copes.

Then do a Google on your shortlist and verify XP-Support/Reliability.

Personally I like the "flattened-cube" Samsung lasers:
o Build is tacky compared to the old (earlier to 5L) Laserkets
---- however the Engine inside does the work, rest is just wrapping
o Often on special due to "included toner cartridge half-filled"
---- which can be easily refilled
o Cheap as chips to buy, work ok, just don't physically get rough
---- watch toner cartridge price v page life *carefully*

For heavy usage other printers may have a notably lower page count.
Be careful of this, or you may find you pay a lot more over 1-2-3yrs.

Modern low end lasers have become loss/cost-leaders for the money
made on Consumables. HP profit is on consumables, GM is via finance.
Check acoustic reviews too - printers vary quite widely in noise levels.

Final check is on warranty - lasers are a pig to parcel up & ship, they
are also uneconomic to repair at the low-end (laser, mirrors, SMPS etc).

Nothing to beat a big old-iron HP3/4 & stack of paper trays for churning
out vast volumes of paper. Modern small lasers are fine for SOHO/home.

HP has the benefit of uptake - lots of compatible cartridges, but Samsung
may have the benefit of low refilling cost. That said, you can only refill a
number of times before you need a new cartridge - so factor that cost in.
The Samsung eco-toner mode does extend toner life very well.

Only wish they'd "eco-model" an A3 B&W laser re both compact & light.
Unfortunately the A3 form-factor tends to make them boat anchors.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

Thanks for the info but I want to stick with HP.

~Howard