hp 6200 problems with 750 ti blank screening

facesoflife

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
System Specs:
HP 6200 Pro Microtower
i5 2500 @ 3.3 GHz
4 GB ram @ 1333 mhz
MSI GTX 750 ti 2 GB(No Power Connector, Low power Card)
I have my card installed in the PCIe slot and although the fans are spinning, after a CClean, BIOS update, Disabling Drivers and going into safe mode and removing and replacing the card many times i'm unable to traverse my way around this issue, i had purchased this PC and 750 ti to create a budget gaming rig and now i'm just distraught about wasting my money, can anyone offer me some valuable advice?
I am able to get a display if i connect to my motherboard VGA port with the card plugged in.

Solution
well ? maybe still that bios uefi or not HP still don't give you a option to change to card use ?? its a hp proprietary bios

dude its hp and there proprietary ways they build whole computers and don't care about you being able to upgrade one bit

if your old hp is not up to snuff they want you to go buy there new ready to go computer not upgrade that's not how they make there money

bottom line with a prebuilt is there only guaranteed to work as is as you bought if with what came on it from there factory out of its box .. not one drop more over that

this is why we do custom builds and not prebuilts
well not to say its fully your issue but some models will only be compatible with up to 6 series cards like a gtx660 ? some will accept up to a 7 series like a gtx 750 ti all depends on what hp bios you got

like 9 series card require a supported uefi bios and will not work on some models - did you look in to any of that at hp before you bought the card ??

you can kinda see how it can go from this you may llok over the hp forums on any other threads of your model and gpu upgrading to see if theres something missed or any trick to get the card working ?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Compaq-6200-pro-sff-and-GTX-750-ti-will-it-work/m-p/4791013/highlight/true#M91744

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Using-GTX-750-950-RX-460-with-HP-6200-Pro/m-p/5664119/highlight/true#M131515

you got to look over these thing hard with any prebuilt and why I don't recommend upgrading unless you know proof positive a part will work

my disclaimer

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers there only guaranteed to work as is out of the box as you bought it ,..

also these boards do not have to meet atx standards and there pci-e slot power may not do the required 75w needed for most higher end cards and can be limited to say 45 or 60w that is all thats needed with the low end factory oem cards that it may of shipped with

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There are many HP computers that have UEFI BIOS issues with cards like the 750ti. Usually the the 900 series has problems, however I guess its possible with the 750ti as well.

Have you checked the HP forums for folks with the same system and a GPU upgrade. Some people have figured out ways around these issues there, that would be the best place to start.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Compaq-6200-pro-sff-and-GTX-750-ti-will-it-work/td-p/4791013

So you get no display at all? Can you access the BIOS and set the graphics from Integrated to PCie?

facesoflife

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
only the integrated gpu shows up for me on my option in BIOS to set primary gpu, when plugged into mobo i get display even with card plugged in. Seems that some people using the sff case had success using the 750 ti like mine that includes no 6 pin cables.

dang looks like our hp links are not working ??? one of them I posted above had a guy with that issue about cant seem to chang over from onboard to card use as well

go to hp forums and in search put ''hp 6200 ssf graphics '' and pull up the threads it was like the 5th one down for me at the time

also I do see in the same model older ones may just have legacy bios and newer one [most times ready for factory win-8 support ] then had uefi bios put on them

[from one of the links I posted from hp forum]

Re: HP Compaq 6200 pro sff and GTX 750 ti, will it work?
Options

07-12-2015 10:22 AM

Well I have tried that, when going into BIOS I find the section to set the primary VGA adapter and it ONLY allows me to set the on-board graphics.

AS another person suggested in a thread I started, I believe what could be going on is the video BIOS for the card only supportds UEFI BIOS, which my PC does not have.

I'll probably be sending back the card.

facesoflife

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

I did BIOS update that says it is supporting UEFI, it is the latest BIOS update for my computer from HP.
Version:02.29 Rev.A (6 May 2016)
Fixes
- Fixed BiosConfigUtility in setting Legacy and UEFI Boot Sources.
- Fixed BiosConfigUtility Enable/Disable of discrete devices, which were being re-enabled on next boot.
Enhancements
- Implemented Roll Back prevention.
- Added improved Security Updates.

*** ALERT ***

This release improved Security Updates implementation. HP strongly recommends promptly
transitioning to this BIOS version. Due to security changes, after this BIOS
update has been installed, previous BIOS versions cannot be reinstalled.

Version:v02.28 Rev.A (8 May 2015)
Enhancements
- Improved UEFI Variables Security Updates. HP highly recommends updating to this version.

ALERT: This BIOS includes critical updates. Once the system is updated to this
version, rollback to previous versions is restricted. This restriction
also applies to BIOS recovery files.

Version:v02.27 Rev.A (13 Mar 2015)
Enhancements
- Flash Back Restrictions to previous BIOS versions.

ALERT: This BIOS includes critical updates. Once the system is updated to this
version, rollback to previous versions is restricted. This restriction
also applies to BIOS recovery files. You should also update the binary
used for recovery on your hard drive, if it is present.

- Added UEFI Security support.

well ? maybe still that bios uefi or not HP still don't give you a option to change to card use ?? its a hp proprietary bios

dude its hp and there proprietary ways they build whole computers and don't care about you being able to upgrade one bit

if your old hp is not up to snuff they want you to go buy there new ready to go computer not upgrade that's not how they make there money

bottom line with a prebuilt is there only guaranteed to work as is as you bought if with what came on it from there factory out of its box .. not one drop more over that

this is why we do custom builds and not prebuilts

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Unfortunately he is right, there are many HP computers that just won't work with certain cards. The last cards that kind of worked with anything Nvidia would be the 6xx series. However AMD cards may be more friendly to it. You really should research on the HP forums what others have used.

I wish the hp forum links worked through here all seem to be hppt400 bad request on my end ??

''Hi: -- [HP experts reply ]

I can't say whether or not that card will work in your PC.

I have read in this forum that the last series of Nvidia cards you can install in PC's of around the age yours is, are the 600 series.

The 700 series may require a newer BIOS revision than your PC has.

You cannot upgrade the P/S even if you wanted to, as it is proprietary.

So you will have to live with what cards will work with the existing configuration.

I recommend you stick with what HP offered as an optional card in the 6200 Pro series, which was the AMD Radeon HD 6450.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?​docId=emr_na-c02779491

Read the reviews before buying, because I have no idea if the game you want to play will work well with that card.

Most 64 bit graphics memory interface low profile graphics cards are not designed for playing video games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8​2E16814121439&cm_re=hd_6450-_-14-121-439-_-Product

If you want a nvidia graphics, card, then the GT610 should work just fine too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8​2E16814130815&cm_re=geforce_gt_610-_-14-130-815-_-​...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Grahpics-Card-Upgrade-Compaq-6200/m-p/5668904/highlight/true#M131631

the thig is the HP so called expert even cant say any card he can guarantee to work then he also points out ''proprietary'' then like us points out read up in there forums ''before '' you buy

TRENDING THREADS