[SOLVED] hp 8300 dies the second it gets power from the psu

Nov 29, 2021
so my friend said his pc stopped working and I narrowed the issue down to the mobo being bad or something

but whenever I plug in the psu the front panel turns green for about 6 seconds then beeps and flashes red
after taking out the motherboard and pulling out all of the cables the same thing still happened

plug in 6pin
immediately turns green
proceeds to flash red and beep without pressing the power button
repeats
(i have also tried this with another hp psu)

the only thing like this on youtube was this guy testing resistance or somthing and desoldering a chip with no context
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gItan2UhGow

I was wondering if anyone here has a clue what hes doing and how to do it

Solution
yes but I have also tried plugging in the 6 pin and then plugging in the psu. I still got the same results

First off, stop doing this. All you're going to do is possibly make an existing problem worse or create new ones. You should never be connecting components to a PSU that's running.

How exactly did you narrow the issue down to "the mobo being bad or something?"

If you want troubleshoot a PC properly, the best place to start is a history of the problem, a description of the problem, and a full list of specs, including exact power supply.
so my friend said his pc stopped working and I narrowed the issue down to the mobo being bad or something

but whenever I plug in the psu the front panel turns green for about 6 seconds then beeps and flashes red
after taking out the motherboard and pulling out all of the cables the same thing still happened

the only thing like this on youtube was this guy testing resistance or somthing and desoldering a chip with no context

Are you plugging in stuff while PSU is live ?

DSzymborski

Titan
yes but I have also tried plugging in the 6 pin and then plugging in the psu. I still got the same results

First off, stop doing this. All you're going to do is possibly make an existing problem worse or create new ones. You should never be connecting components to a PSU that's running.

If you want troubleshoot a PC properly, the best place to start is a history of the problem, a description of the problem, and a full list of specs, including exact power supply.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
Nov 29, 2021

the psu is a non standard 6 pin hp not sure of the wattage or model yet

I narrowed the issue down from trying it with diffrent dimms, a diffrent psu and cpu none of them got it to stop beeping
so i took the mobo out and plugged in only the 6 pin not the werid 4 pin that has the ps_on wire so i have no idea why its running the psu but when i do that it beeps and turns red

(i had an identical working pc for the psu)

Nov 29, 2021

one of the psus was bad nvm