HP 8300 SFF video card question?

Garnerbt

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
What is the best video card I can put in my HP 8300 SFF. Best I can tell my power supply puts out 240 watts and most every card I find requires 300 watts. Would they still work?

Solution

Most likely no. But the 750TI won't overload it, it doesn't even require an additional power cable. It works with the PCI-E port's energy only.

Rooster__

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
One big issue you're gonna have is that power supply, hp desktops are notorious for exploding under high load, so you will be risking the entire computer if it dies- it might pump a huge spike of current through your components and kill the lot. I would look out for a good named brand psu manufacturer before you consider upgrading, or you could end up seriously sorry for it

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

Most likely no. But the 750TI won't overload it, it doesn't even require an additional power cable. It works with the PCI-E port's energy only.

Solution

Rooster__

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Just because it uses the pcie slots power, doesnt mean it draws more. Any strain on those crappy power supplies is super dangerous, you don't want to brick anything. It has a higher TDP, so you will need to upgrade that psu if you want to not risk replacing the whole thing

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

I didn't say it draws more, if anything I'm implying that the card will draw LESS power. He won't be able to upgrade the PSU because it's not a standard ATX case. It's not a big deal, in his current situation he won't be able to do much without replacing the case too. And it's not like the PSU will blow up with a card this small.

Rooster__

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Nvidia recommends 300w, I realise that they are conservative, but this is to accommodate the hp power supplies- bad power supplies that are rated at 300w are what are recommended, and this is 240w. The power supply will be working HARD, and the frankly terrible components found in those will cause stress, and who knows what will happen- best case it struggles on and if it dies takes nothing with it, but the more likely senario is it just dies and takes the gpu, cpu, and motherboard out with it in a huge overcurrent as the capacitors fail