hp 8450 ink level indicator

Long story short....

Mother bought an 8450 photo printer.
Printer worked for a week, then died.
Hp sends mother new printer
Mother puts ink cartridges from old (but still new) printer into new
new printer.

New printer registers ink levels at basically 0.

None of which occured while I was around...indeed, not even in the same
state.

From what I can tell from other posts, HP has some sort of bizaare
sensor scheme where i need to somehow cover up copper contacts with
scotch tape, then uncover them in some strange order known only to
taoist druids of the 11th century to reset the levels or go and give
the good people at HP lots of money for new cartridges to get a
semi-realistic idea of how much ink is in these things.

Now, the real question....do I care? I mean, does it matter. In some
printers, running out of ink is bad with a capital B, because it will
burn out the heads, but I was under the impression that HP cartridges
include the heads, so an empty cartridge is not the end of the
world....this could be completely wrong and short of going out and
buying a cartridge and ripping it apart or putting it under an electron
microscope, I thought I would ask you wonderful people.

Help ;)

"gerryf" <gerryf19@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Now, the real question....do I care? I mean, does it matter. In some
> printers, running out of ink is bad with a capital B, because it will
> burn out the heads, but I was under the impression that HP cartridges
> include the heads, so an empty cartridge is not the end of the
> world.

Since the cartridges were used for a time in one printer then another the
second printer has no way of knowing the ink level. In this case the printer
will indicate something to the effect that the ink level is unknown. This
should not impact the use at all, except that you will not get a low ink
warning.

There is nothing to be gained on this model by covering contact pads.

Regards,

Bob Headrick wrote:

> "gerryf" <gerryf19@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> > Now, the real question....do I care? I mean, does it matter. In some
> > printers, running out of ink is bad with a capital B, because it
> > will burn out the heads, but I was under the impression that HP
> > cartridges include the heads, so an empty cartridge is not the end
> > of the world.
>
> Since the cartridges were used for a time in one printer then another
> the second printer has no way of knowing the ink level. In this case
> the printer will indicate something to the effect that the ink level
> is unknown. This should not impact the use at all, except that you
> will not get a low ink warning.
>
> There is nothing to be gained on this model by covering contact pads.
>
> Regards,

Thanks Bob, that is what I espected.