HP Acquires Autonomy for $10 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
IMO they seems to be rattled atm, and they are taking the same death road which Sun took, to its ultimate demise. Only difference is that HP is in much better financial shape than Sun was.

I am not sure how buying an enterprise search firm can help HP transform into a software solution provider in near future, real money lies e.g. in CRM/ERP when it comes to software. Just to back this up Oracle made more money simply providing maintenance + license renewals etc. than selling solutions to new customers during the last year, and the biggest of them all in this business SAP is well ahead of Oracle.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
"When we look at the market, we see an array of interconnected devices, including tablets, printers, and of course, smartphones," he said.

Toys, all of them, save the printers. And how does HP plan to make money off that stuff if they stopped making tablets and smartphones? No one needs their "software", lol!

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Is it just another company HP bought to let it die, like Palm? If Coca Cola bought Pepsi, just to let it die, I love Pepsi X, & I hate having my choices taken away...

G

another company to go through HP Grinder. They gave 49 days to kill Palm. How many days they will give them. What for all these people getting paid millions.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
[citation][nom]3Ball[/nom]I work for HP Enterprise Services...why is it that I am reading about this on Toms before hearing it internally? /annoyed[/citation]

Read your email and the internal site! It was in mine. I am not happy with another acquisition. Lets not innovate,lets buy it. I suppose it the world of patten trolling, this is the safer route. We wouldn't have to develop something that looked like another product, even after its been photo-shopped.

pede93063

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Board members and CEOs of HP (large american companies) are playing "Monopoly" with lives and money of Americans. Pathetic rich baster...

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I don't know how their Enterprise software and services are, but their consumer software has always been the first thing I get rid of when buying or reformatting an HP computer. That and the bundled anti-virus software.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
HP webOS Developer Update

Dear webOS Developer,

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, it's one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.

Lastly, I wish to express our sincere appreciation for your ongoing support for webOS and the many teams responsible for it here at HP.
This is a particularly dynamic time in the mobile industry and sometimes tough decisions need to be made about not only what to do, but also what not to do. This has been one of those times. Together with our great webOS developer community, we are confident that we will meet the challenges ahead and build momentum for optimal success.

We will be communicating with you frequently over the next few weeks and we look forward to hearing from you throughout this process.

Thanks for your support

Richard Kerris
VP webOS Developer Relations

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Didn't IBM do more or less the same thing HP is doing?[/citation]
Yeah... but the PC Desktop/Notebook consumer division was a SMALL part of their business. Unlike HP, they actually create technology and build technology.

HP just sends designs or specs to a few Chinese factories and wait for the cargo ship to arrive.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I'm betting that HP will fade away in a few years.

Really, who would trust a company who totally FUBAR'ed a tablet designed, quit after a few weeks on the market - to totally shutting down an entire division, etc etc.

The MOST press that HP recieved about the TouchPad is its death. Now selling at $100 at various locations like WalMart. I suspect Best Buy, Circuit City, Frys, Federated, Sears and other stores to also sell these off at $100.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well there we have it again,another monopoly in the making...A few less companies for competition,means that we will be less likely to see competition to bring in cheaper products...

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I quit HP last Friday to go back to school. I was working for their Business computing services division doing design & verificaiton. This is the real reason why their stock price dropped.

pede93063

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
We hear from private companies that government can not manage anything. But looking how private companies are managed (ruined), in past 20 years, I start thinking it is not only government (which is run by arrogant ignorants).

bugo30

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
[citation][nom]pede93063[/nom]We hear from private companies that government can not manage anything. But looking how private companies are managed (ruined), in past 20 years, I start thinking it is not only government (which is run by arrogant ignorants).[/citation]

The difference is that when a company screws up, all that happens is it goes out of business and we buy our stuff from someone else. When the government screws up, it takes even more of our money and gives us worse and worse service. A failing company is not nearly as big of a problem as a failing government, so in most cases a system where services are provided by private companies and not by the government will be more robust than the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.