HP/Agilent 3325B

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps,sci.electronics.equipment (More info?)

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. In the past I've just been
using this beast as a standard signal generator and that suited me fine
because I didn't have any documentation or instructions on how to create my
own functions on it, and besides I had a Stanford Research DS345 Function
Generator for creating these.

The limitation of this however was that it could only generate functions up
to 10Mhz, and for the most part up to now that has been ok, but now in a
system I'm designing I need to be able to generate a frequency of 20Mhz. All
I want to do essentially, is generate a 50% duty cycle square waveform @20
MHz and vary the rise and fall times, Is this possible with the 3325B?

I've tried contacting Agilent but they say the manual is out of production
and they don't have a pdf.

If anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it if they'd contact me
on the email given without the nospam.

regards

pfitz

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps,sci.electronics.equipment (More info?)

pfitz wrote...

> I was wondering if anyone could help me out. In the past I've just been
> using this beast as a standard signal generator and that suited me fine
> because I didn't have any documentation or instructions on how to create my
> own functions on it, and besides I had a Stanford Research DS345 Function
> Generator for creating these.
>
> The limitation of this however was that it could only generate functions up
> to 10Mhz, and for the most part up to now that has been ok, but now in a
> system I'm designing I need to be able to generate a frequency of 20Mhz. All
> I want to do essentially, is generate a 50% duty cycle square waveform @20
> MHz and vary the rise and fall times, Is this possible with the 3325B?

According to the HP data sheet, the range is sine waves to 21MHz,
square-waves, triangles and ramps to 11MHz. The square-wave rise
time is 20ns.

Thanks,
- Win

whill_at_picovolt-dot-com (use hill_at_rowland-dot-org for now)

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps,sci.electronics.equipment (More info?)

> The limitation of this however was that it could only generate functions
up
> to 10Mhz, and for the most part up to now that has been ok, but now in a
> system I'm designing I need to be able to generate a frequency of 20Mhz.
All
> I want to do essentially, is generate a 50% duty cycle square waveform @20
> MHz and vary the rise and fall times, Is this possible with the 3325B?
>
> I've tried contacting Agilent but they say the manual is out of production
> and they don't have a pdf.
>
> If anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it if they'd contact me
> on the email given without the nospam.
>

> regards
>

> pfitz

No, HP3325A cannot vary rise/fall times of squarewave output and anyway
cannot
generate more than 11MHz squarevawe at all...It has some powerfull sweep
functions,
but it's essentially classic function generator.

- Dejan

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps,sci.electronics.equipment (More info?)

Can anyone recommend a Function generator that will be capable of doing
this, I may need to hire one for 2 weeks or so?

"Dejan Durdenic" <no_spam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > The limitation of this however was that it could only generate functions
> up
> > to 10Mhz, and for the most part up to now that has been ok, but now in a
> > system I'm designing I need to be able to generate a frequency of 20Mhz.
> All
> > I want to do essentially, is generate a 50% duty cycle square waveform
@20
> > MHz and vary the rise and fall times, Is this possible with the 3325B?
> >
> > I've tried contacting Agilent but they say the manual is out of
production
> > and they don't have a pdf.
> >
> > If anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it if they'd contact
me
> > on the email given without the nospam.
> >

> > regards
> >

> > pfitz
> >

> No, HP3325A cannot vary rise/fall times of squarewave output and anyway
> cannot
> generate more than 11MHz squarevawe at all...It has some powerfull sweep
> functions,
> but it's essentially classic function generator.
>
> - Dejan

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps,sci.electronics.equipment (More info?)

HP 8082A pulse gen can do that. The frequency is not real accurate as it
uses a potentiometer to set the rate. It does have controls that will vary
the rise and fall time. They made a few generators like that but not real
solid on the frequency. Check out Tucker Electronics, Test Equipment
Connection, or any other used equipment company

--
change .combo to .com for correct email

"We ought always to know precisely why a given job
is done in a particular way, and why it is done at
all, and why it can't be done more efficiently,
if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

"pfitz" <padraigfitz@nospam.eircom.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a Function generator that will be capable of doing
> this, I may need to hire one for 2 weeks or so?
>

> "Dejan Durdenic" <no_spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > The limitation of this however was that it could only generate
functions
> > up
> > > to 10Mhz, and for the most part up to now that has been ok, but now in
> > > system I'm designing I need to be able to generate a frequency of
20Mhz.
> > All
> > > I want to do essentially, is generate a 50% duty cycle square waveform
> @20
> > > MHz and vary the rise and fall times, Is this possible with the 3325B?
> > >
> > > I've tried contacting Agilent but they say the manual is out of
> production
> > > and they don't have a pdf.
> > >
> > > If anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it if they'd
contact
> me
> > > on the email given without the nospam.
> > >

> > > regards
> > >

> > > pfitz
> > >

> > No, HP3325A cannot vary rise/fall times of squarewave output and anyway
> > cannot
> > generate more than 11MHz squarevawe at all...It has some powerfull sweep
> > functions,
> > but it's essentially classic function generator.
> >
> > - Dejan

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps,sci.electronics.equipment (More info?)

The frequency has to be pretty stable for my app ~ 0.4ppm, Are there any
others out there that might fit the bill?

"Kevin Carney" <carneyke@us.ibm.combo> wrote in message
> HP 8082A pulse gen can do that. The frequency is not real accurate as it
> uses a potentiometer to set the rate. It does have controls that will vary
> the rise and fall time. They made a few generators like that but not real
> solid on the frequency. Check out Tucker Electronics, Test Equipment
> Connection, or any other used equipment company
>
> --
> change .combo to .com for correct email

> "We ought always to know precisely why a given job
> is done in a particular way, and why it is done at
> all, and why it can't be done more efficiently,
> if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

> "pfitz" <padraigfitz@nospam.eircom.net> wrote in message
> > Can anyone recommend a Function generator that will be capable of doing
> > this, I may need to hire one for 2 weeks or so?
> >

> > "Dejan Durdenic" <no_spam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> functions
> > > up
> 20Mhz.
> > > All
> > @20

> > production

> contact
> > me

> > > No, HP3325A cannot vary rise/fall times of squarewave output and
anyway
> > > cannot
> > > generate more than 11MHz squarevawe at all...It has some powerfull
sweep
> > > functions,
> > > but it's essentially classic function generator.
> > >
> > > - Dejan

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.design,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.apps,sci.electronics.equipment (More info?)

The 33250A is listed as the replacement box. The datasheet
is on this page:
http://we.home.agilent.com/USeng/nav/-11267.536881980/pd.html
A quick scan gets 50MHz pulse with variable rise/fall time.
Frequency accuracy is 1ppm, but you can lock it to an external
reference.
Stability is 0.3ppm 18-28 deg C.

Regards
Ian