HP all-in-one D145 paralel port problem

I am trying to hook two windows computers directly to the D145. According to
the manual I should be able to do this. The usb connection works fine, but
I am unable to get the paralel port working. All the software is loaded and
the port seems to be available in device manager, but no joy. Anyone been
able to do this?

I have never encountered a printer with both parallel and USB ports that allows
use of both at the same time. I doubt that the D145 does either.

Your choices for shared use are:

1. An automatic printer sharing box such as one from Bi-tronics. These boxes
are a little kludgey, but one may work for you and not get in the way of
bi-directional communication between printer and computers.

2. Install the printer on one computer, enable it as a shared network resource,
then pick it up as a networked device on the other computer. With most of the
all-in-one devices (not just HP's), you end up sacrificing something on the
computer that accesses the device thru the network. For example, you may be
able to only print, not scan or copy. Or you will need to install a different
DeskJet printer driver.

HP, Lexmark, Canon, Epson, and Xerox, the major manufacturers of all-in-one
units do not ever do any negative selling, telling you what the unit will NOT
do. You have to find it out the hard way, and then a call to customer support
elicts an "Oh, yeah. You can't share the unit." after the fact.

Some of the HP units work just fine with an HP JetDirect, which is almost
expensive as the all-in-one... Ben Myers

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:00:22 -0500, "John I" <johnball1@comcast.net> wrote:

>I am trying to hook two windows computers directly to the D145. According to
>the manual I should be able to do this. The usb connection works fine, but
>I am unable to get the paralel port working. All the software is loaded and
>the port seems to be available in device manager, but no joy. Anyone been
>able to do this?

Actually it not a matter of not telling what the all-in-one won't do, the
manual specifically says it will do it. That aside, a friend gave me a
parallel port adapter for the D145 and I have been trying to get it to work.
Even uninstalling the software and reinstalling it with the parallel cable
alone (only one computer connected) I have not been able to get the parallel
port working. That's the real question.

I have shared the printer in the past with an alternate print driver for the
other computers and can go back to that. It's really not getting the
parallel port to work that is bugging me.