HP and Dell Still Dominating U.S. PC Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Im really surprised that Acer isnt at the top. They are the laptops I see everyone use, I never see any Dells and less hp. And Acer is pretty cheap. I still dont understand these things. And Apple selling more than Toshiba, theres a surprise...

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
The new line of pavilions are constructed very well. I would not buy any of pre-packaged desktops but with laptops there is really no other options

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
The only reason Dell is so popular with business buyers is because of their warranty, a business will require less IT people. But their products do need that extra warranty. I'm clueless on why HP is the number one brand. their stuff is not high quality and they stiff you on stuff in the higher priced models (although not as much as Dell). I recently bought an Asus laptop and it is so much better than my son's HP laptop in quality.

bigrigross

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]The only reason Dell is so popular with business buyers is because of their warranty, a business will require less IT people. But their products do need that extra warranty. I'm clueless on why HP is the number one brand. their stuff is not high quality and they stiff you on stuff in the higher priced models (although not as much as Dell). I recently bought an Asus laptop and it is so much better than my son's HP laptop in quality.[/citation]

Yeah, I wish businesses would see the quality of ASUS products. There warranty far exceeds Dells and they make a good product. Out of all my ASUS products, my laptop has never had a hardware problem. Plus I have never been much for Dells BIOS version they release. I prefer my Phoenix BIOS chip over any version.

atomyc

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
hp and dell constantly have discounts and sales on their computers, especially the laptops. that could be one of the reasons why they are tops.

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Working as a computer salesman, I would've thought that Toshiba would be 3rd place and Dell would have been 1st...but I guess since Compaq is giving its numbers to HP, it makes more sense. It just seems like my store sells more Toshibas than Macs.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Not impressed with their laptops and the last time I owned one of them was years ago (P3 machine) before I started building my own gaming rigs. This was partly due to Dell and proprietary parts. I soon found out that you can not just buy a newer processor for one of them and upgrade because of proprietary MB and sockets they use. I don't know if they still do that kind of crap but I don't care either since I won't buy one anyway.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]Their stuff is not high quality and they stiff you on stuff in the higher priced models (although not as much as Dell).[/citation]

You mean Apple?

Apple is worse than HP, DELL, and ACER combined. Apple = Mediocre to plain low grade Guts, nice cases, and charge you an arm and a leg. The only thing that Apple has going for them from a Tech Savvy stand point is OSX (Take ur pros and cons with OSX vs Windows vs Linux). I would purchase Any Dell/HP over Apple....at least i know i still have my arms and legs.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
mchuf :

Their stuff is not high quality and they stiff you on stuff in the higher priced models (although not as much as Dell).

You mean Apple?

Apple is worse than HP, DELL, and ACER combined. Apple = Mediocre to plain low grade Guts, nice cases, and charge you an arm and a leg. The only thing that Apple has going for them from a Tech Savvy stand point is OSX (Take ur pros and cons with OSX vs Windows vs Linux). I would purchase Any Dell/HP over Apple....at least i know i still have my arms and legs.

Yes, you're right about Apple. But both HP and Dell far outsell Apple and are the top two sellers in the world. That's why I didn't include Apple in the post.

Jeez, There must be a lot of hidden Dell fanboys here. Every post that has a negative comment on Dell has been rated negatively, yet I don't see many comments supporting Dell!

dante10

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]bigrigross[/nom]Yeah, I wish businesses would see the quality of ASUS products. There warranty far exceeds Dells and they make a good product. Out of all my ASUS products, my laptop has never had a hardware problem. Plus I have never been much for Dells BIOS version they release. I prefer my Phoenix BIOS chip over any version.[/citation]

yes...i agree with u...ASUS did make quality product...i just bought an ASUS laptop...its really looks sturdy and convince me that i will not get the same hardware problem with my previous HPCOMPAQ laptop...go ASUS!!

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
What I see at the airport is different from what I see in homes, which is different still from what I see at companies.

I see a lot of Dell at airports and a lot of HP at office locations.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Why would most people still buy OEM, instead of building something on their own?[/citation]

Because most people think it'll be to complicated, I know when I did my first build I thought it was going to be difficult as all hell0, but it was really easy. Almost as easy as going up to a salesman and saying "Which one do you think I should get?"

nickak2003

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
dells have an unpublished mobo problem: compare a dell to an identical (except for mobo) newegg/home built pc, and the dell will be up to 30% slower! This has been true for like a decade.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nickak2003[/nom]dells have an unpublished mobo problem: compare a dell to an identical (except for mobo) newegg/home built pc, and the dell will be up to 30% slower! This has been true for like a decade.[/citation]

I've always thought that Dell's biggest problem was trying to save a few bucks on inferior power supplies, not the motherboards. A crappy power supply explains why multiple, unrelated components tend to fail within 18-24 months and there's a slight, but noticeable lag in performance.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]The only reason Dell is so popular with business buyers is because of their warranty, a business will require less IT people. But their products do need that extra warranty. I'm clueless on why HP is the number one brand. their stuff is not high quality and they stiff you on stuff in the higher priced models (although not as much as Dell). I recently bought an Asus laptop and it is so much better than my son's HP laptop in quality.[/citation]

No, it doesn't really reduce the number of IT people. We are a Dell shop, and it has to do with the fact that a Dell will have that computer back up and running the next day. We used to used Panasonic Toughbooks, and it was literally MONTHS of turnaround.

ASUS makes nice stuff, but I don't think they can take care of problems as fast as Dell can.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Why would most people still buy OEM, instead of building something on their own?[/citation]

Businesses won't build their own because you still need to pay someone to put them together. By the time you do that, it's cheaper just to get a Dell and the warranty that comes with it.

G

ASUS is HP's OEM
FoxConn is Apple and Dell's OEM
So I guest ASUS is actually #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.