HP Announces Intel-Powered Chromebook x2 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Chrome isn't a "proprietary Linux". Chrome is a web browser. ChromeOS is based on ChromiumOS, which was originally based on Ubuntu. Since Google isn't a system builder, ChromeOS can't be proprietary.... Also, if ChromeOS were proprietary, we wouldn't see Acer, HP, Dell, Asus, Lenovo, etc installing it on their systems.

skywaterhulk

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
Leon, you skimmed the press release. No where did it mention that these would have an Intel i7 processor. It said it would have a 7th generation Core (Kaby Lake) mobile processor. That's a wide range, including: Celeron, Pentium, m3 series, Xeon M, i3, i5 and yes, i7. If I was a betting man, I would put my money on the m3 series used by other comparable tablets with 8 GB of RAM. I'm really curious to see if the 32 GB is solder on board or a M.2 slot like on older ChromeBooks by HP. It makes upgrading and migrating to a true Linux distro so much easier without wiping the original SSD.

extremepenguin

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Given that Adobe announced that their Creative Cloud suite was coming to Chrome OS I can see some need for an i7 for specific uses but the vast majority of the Chrome devices I am bringing in are Celeron based.

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017

thats cool

skywaterhulk

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018

Yes they offer Creative Cloud apps for ChromeOS, but there's a catch. They are NOT the same applications as Windows and Mac versions. They are the same version as the Android apps. http://blogs.adobe.com/contentcorner/2017/03/27/install-adobe-apps-on-your-chromebook/ Not really a powerhouse needed. The more powerful apps will be limited to streaming. PhotoShop Streaming.

I wish they would come out with Linux versions of their application without running some Mac or Windows emulation layer to get them to run. This would be easier to port to ChromeOS if it was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS