HP Announces Plans to Lay off 27,000 in Next Two Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
We need to move the factory jobs back to America to balance out the job losses. The middle class in America starts from $22,300.00 to $25,000 per year. The factory jobs that were plentiful in the past made a healthy middle class and created realistically low unemployment numbers. Nine out of ten products used to be made in America before the government opened the doors to foreign imports without tariffs and pushed for the global economy to make every American worker compete with the salaries of third world countries. We have fake unemployment numbers in order to push the global economy. Even the construction of the new Bay Bridge in San Francisco was contracted to a Chinese firm that brought Chinese workers to build the bridge for 75 cents an hour ($12 per day) and working 16 hours a day. We already lost so many jobs in payroll, medical billing, etc. to foreign contracts that now we have construction workers being out sourced too. What’s next to go?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Payroll are most companies largest expense. Unfortunately it effects people the most. HP employs over 330,000 people. They have to do what they need to do for the business and then they will be able to eventually hire new people in parts of their business that they need manpower.

spyfish

Honorable
For once this restructuring actually make sense. Today HP simply have to many project managers and bean counters. By merging two major Organization within HP, allot of redundant Project managers and metric gurus can removed.
This does make sense to make the company more efficient. In the long run it might actually create more "ground floor" jobs.
I believe there are no plans to remove customer facing jobs, R&D etc. And no plan to move jobs to china as indicated above.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Maybe they could save money by not packing all kinds of crap in with their boxes. We ordered a couple hundred computers for our organization from HP. There was so much extra junk, cables plastic pieces and screws that we threw out, because they were not needed. I understand it's nice to send parts in case a customer needs it, but it might not be a bad idea to find out before shipping, just what a customer needs.

Letter to the Meg Whitman, HP CEO
From: George McCasland
Date: Wed, May 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Subject: Announced Layoffs
To: Meg Whitman

Dear Ms. Whitman,

Dads House has free information that will be needed by many of those facing a layoff from your company.

I would like to suggest that HP send out a notification to all those people being laid off that if they have a child support obligation, they can get help from their state to have the order modified. That they need to make the official request the moment they have been notified they are listed for release, as it can take up to a year to get a hearing.

This is a right they have under the 1988 Child Support Enforcement Act, and is detailed in the Federal Child Support Enforcement Handbook for Non-Custodial Parents. Unfortunately, the states refuse to distribute the handbook, which is free from the feds. Here is the material from it.
http://ChildSupportRights.org

If you are willing, here is a small poster that can be displayed in the employee break rooms with the above link.
http://dadshousedocs.org/ChildSupportRightsAD.pdf

I hope you will consider my request, and perhaps have one of your assitants respond to confirm you have received it. You are experiencing some public relations issues right now with this decision, and this might help it.

George R. McCasland, National Moderator
Dads House Educational Center & Groups
http://DadsHouseEdCtr.org

Postscript:
Took me a while to find a contact address, and I cc'd it to their Craig Gomez, Media Relations VP, as a backup.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
If anything HP should bring manufacturing back to the USA, sure they may need to reduce the current staff because of overlapping BUT lets see some of that investment go back into US jobs in the form of other useful and needed positions. It certainly would be good PR and it would create a ripple effect which would have many more people in the USA buying HP.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]If anything HP should bring manufacturing back to the USA, sure they may need to reduce the current staff because of overlapping BUT lets see some of that investment go back into US jobs in the form of other useful and needed positions. It certainly would be good PR and it would create a ripple effect which would have many more people in the USA buying HP.[/citation]
The question is can HP bring back manufacturing to the USA and make as much or more profit than they're currently making. They couldn't care less about jobs in the USA, that seems to be evidenced.