Question Hp Aruba 2930m transceiver

Apr 12, 2019
Hello Gurus,
Have new hp Aruba 2930m 24 port switches. Ordered 2 j9150a gbics and installed. When log into switch it states port 21 incompatible...? Can someone one help selecting the correct gbic? I'm using duplex multi mode fiber with sc connectors.

Hopefully HP is not still being stupid. Used to be you could buy a SFP from one line of hp switches but it would not work in a another line even though the specs were exactly the same. Bad enough you could not put other vendor or generic ones in some hp equipment.

Be very sure that sfp is exactly compatible with the switch.

On many switches you have to be careful sfp, sfp+ and other device modules like qspf that use the same physical format. On some switch you can put sfp and sfp+ in the same slot other only take sfp+. Obviously you can't put a sfp+ in a sfp only slot.

Verify that the slot is designed to take the SFP. I was very surprised the time I tried to put a regular SFP in a slot and found it only support SFP+.

Apr 12, 2019
I thought I selected the correct one based on the data sheet, pg 14. Also see on pg 19 a list of transceivers. Too many options !
a00001977enw.pdf

Yes that is the problem with HP and many times they have mulitple names for the parts....I was so glad in a way when we outsourced our lan to HP.

From what I was told HP was much better about that. They still restricted you to hp parts but they worked between the different switch lines. Make sure you are plugging it into the correct port especially if the device is a sfp+