HP Briefly Lists AMD Trinity, Intel Ivy Bridge Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

beats ivy bridge how? trinity will have better graphics obviously, but it will still be low/low-mid end. its going to be half the speed of ivy bridge at anything not related to graphics. hopefully half the price aswell

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]el_hombre[/nom]beats ivy bridge how? trinity will have better graphics obviously, but it will still be low/low-mid end. its going to be half the speed of ivy bridge at anything not related to graphics. hopefully half the price aswell[/citation]
You forget that even though current AMD processors are slower than Intel's clock-for-clock, they still are very capable and fast CPUs. Not even close to "half the speed of ivy bridge at anything not related to graphics".

I doubt you'd be getting "half" performance browsing facebook with a Trinity APU, barring some very strong placebo effects. The most CPU-intensive task that consumers routinely do happens to be gaming, and my friend, that is also very much related to graphics, so Ivy Bridge is unlikely to win out there barring a discrete GPU.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[nom]azncracker[/nom]AMD need to make their own line of "Ultrabooks"[/citation]
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Ultrabooks are ultra expensive and ultra under equipped[citation]

I've already typed all of this in the comments section of previous ultrabook articles.
AMD's brand "Ultrathin" notebooks are cheaper than ultrabooks.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]azncracker[/nom]AMD need to make their own line of "Ultrabooks"[/citation]
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Ultrabooks are ultra expensive and ultra under equipped[/citation]

I've already typed all of this in the comments section of previous ultrabook articles.
AMD's brand "Ultrathin" notebooks are cheaper than ultrabooks...

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]I've already typed all of this in the comments section of previous ultrabook articles.AMD's brand "Ultrathin" notebooks are cheaper than ultrabooks...[/citation]
But they suck as hell. I would pay more and just get an Ultrabook, or better, get a Samsung Series 9 or MacBookAir 13.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i hope Trinity beats Ivy bridge, i am not an AMD fanboy or anything, i just dont agree with monopoly.[/citation]

There is nothing wrong with monopoly if the company continues to innovate and not gouge prices. It's monopoly with the sole intent for more profit that is devastating.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i hope Trinity beats Ivy bridge, i am not an AMD fanboy or anything, i just dont agree with monopoly.[/citation]

60% market share isn't a monopoly. I'm neither an Intel nor AMD fanboi (though I tend to root for the underdog aka AMD), but Intel has just been doing it better/longer than AMD. Hopefully AMD will get their calcs per cycle up and compete more. And don't forget, Ivy has 2 GPU on die along with the 6 cpu cores

G

Yes, but what about Thunderbolt in non apple laptops. Are we there yet?, are we there yet, Are we there yet?, are we there yet?...

G

And don't forget TOMS, when thunderbolt does arrive on non apple laptops, let the reader know the model number and facts about the thunderbolt hardware i.e. number of channels available [full or half], integrated or discrete, etc.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom] It's monopoly with the sole intent for more profit that is devastating.[/citation]

Is this not the perfect definition of Intel???

The only reason they stopped gouging prices and began to innovate in the first place was because of AMD

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]There is nothing wrong with monopoly if the company continues to innovate and not gouge prices. It's monopoly with the sole intent for more profit that is devastating.[/citation]
Companies aren't charities, given the chance, they would love to charge as much as they could if possible and eliminate the competition.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
looking forward to trinity. Bought a Llano(weakest llano, laptop A4 dualcore) and it turned out alot better than Id hoped for gaming for the money.plays any UE3 and valve games on high at 20-30fps. But still not good enough to play some games decently(shogun 2 and witcher 2 is crippling). If theres a significant boost in both graphics and cpu power Id buy a trinity laptop this christmas.

an Ivy bridge with similar onboard graphics would likely cost me my ass, so I dont think Id get one.

cant wait for both these lines to be released. eager to see Ivy and trinity performance.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

You seem to have forgotten that people aren't going to buy the Intel offering for its graphics ability. Intel makes the superior CPU and that's all that matters to most of us. We almost always buy a discrete GPU for our system and almost always ignore any on chip graphics offerings. That's just the way it is, its not because we don't like the on chip concept, its because we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a discrete GPU is ALWAYS going to be more powerful than any on chip offering.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JerryC[/nom]You seem to have forgotten that people aren't going to buy the Intel offering for its graphics ability. Intel makes the superior CPU and that's all that matters to most of us. We almost always buy a discrete GPU for our system and almost always ignore any on chip graphics offerings. That's just the way it is, its not because we don't like the on chip concept, its because we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a discrete GPU is ALWAYS going to be more powerful than any on chip offering.[/citation]
mostly true for desktops, but I doubt most people buying an Ivy bridge laptop would bother buying a discrete gpu for it. so most people who game on laptops would rely and care about the onboard graphics.

G

You need to understand… AMD don’t need to have the fastest CPU speed. There APU range (Accelerated Processing Units) have a CPU and a dedicated Radeon GPU in one chip. Most of today’s software like IE9, Firefox4, office 365, Windows 7 & 8 are graphic heavy. They have been designed to benefit from a dedicated GPU. So when the data is processed by a AMD APU, most of the work is done by the GPU. Intel boxes can do this, but the data is processed by the CPU. The CPU is not designed to do graphical calculations – it can do them, but it takes longer, and uses more power. So Intel you get faster clock speeds of the CPU, but they use more power, and overall run slower. AMD have a dedicated GPU and CPU, so they run better for day to day work, and use less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.