HP Buys Palm: A New Smartphone Superpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I dunno how I feel about this. HP has been making absolute rubbish lately (bloatware infested PCs and printers that require 400Mb drivers) but at least Palm isn't going to fold.

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Seeing as all Palm has left is their WebOS, HP is buying this software for 1.2 billion dollars to enter a very competitive market??

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]What PC you get from a major player isn't going to have bloatware on it? I'd rather have the bloatware and pay a lower price. I just wipe the HD and start from fresh anyway. I build my desktops but they can stick 100GBs of bloatware on the laptops I buy if it means lower prices. I've used both... WebOS beats the iPhone's OS easily. Haven't used Android yet. Wouldn't be surpised to see HP start licensing WebOS at some point.WebOS tablet version? That would be something to see.[/citation]

I love WebOS too, but I can't add it to my SERO plan. That, I am not too fond of the small Palm thumbboard, even though my Treo Pro has it. WebOS on an HTC Touch Pro 2 style phone would be ideal.

I hope HP comes out with a good variety of phones sporting this OS. I think its pretty evident that there are people who prefer no keyboard, the slide out side keyboard, and people who prefer the Palm style thumbboard. Its a good OS; mix it with good engineering and you can have a winner.

G

Zybch, I think you are missing the other things that HP provides at an enterprise level. They have a class leading blade and chassis design that does storage, proliant and integrity, they bought out the best SAN maker with LeftHand, and now they are looking to make an enterprise (hopefully) smartphone. I was trying to decide between iPhone and RIM for phones, I am so excited to see what HP/Palm is going to come out with.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
My dream of beautiful HTC/Palm babies has been crushed, but on the bright side this means WebOS will live on. Plus, a tablet with WebOS would run circles around the iPad.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]matt314[/nom]Dell is making android/WP7 and Hp is going with webOS. Will be interesting indeed.[/citation]

Dell assembles pre-fabbed computer hardware. HP has a history of creating various products and technologies. Sure, they're now known mainly for their printers and desktops, but that's mostly the fault of their prior CEO (not sure if it was the same one busted for ordering the illegal spying of the board members or not). Anyway, the comparison is unfair.

That said, HP should have no problem continuing the Palm brand and infusing it with much needed technical and financial support.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]What PC you get from a major player isn't going to have bloatware on it? I'd rather have the bloatware and pay a lower price. I just wipe the HD and start from fresh anyway. I build my desktops but they can stick 100GBs of bloatware on the laptops I buy if it means lower prices. I've used both... WebOS beats the iPhone's OS easily. Haven't used Android yet. Wouldn't be surpised to see HP start licensing WebOS at some point.WebOS tablet version? That would be something to see.[/citation]

Usually they try to make you pay for the bloatware. It is a "feature."

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I wonder if HP has plans to integrate Palm's WebOS into their multi function printers, scanners, etc.

And or create a "light OS" for their laptops for minimal power drain on the go computing.

Wish i had Palm Stock today =\

G

Remember when PDA war was between IPAQ and PALM decades ago? Who would have thought they are the same company now.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]Watch out apple here come hp.[/citation]
LOL HP is worth double what Apple is (114.7 Billion vs 47 Billion).

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
HP didn't buy Palm just so it could dish out some WebOS phones. They wanted the IP, the technical talent, and the experience that comes with Palm.

HP will take what Palm has and create their own product from it, whether it's for phones, ultralight mobiles, or some other wireless / networking area.

Give it a few months, you skeptics might even be impressed.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Does HP have the vision to compete with Apple and Microsoft and RIM and Nokia?

Does HP have any idea what the customer wants? I actually like the concept of the Pre, I just don't have it available to me on Straight Talk... Otherwise I'd probably already have one.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I wonder what they'll call it? The HP/Compaq iPalm Pre Paq?

Anyway, I think this is a good move. Especially since the HP Slate is
already a developed platform. If they can use the Snapdragon CPU in a less
expensive and smaller tablet with WiFi and 3G, I would get behind that in
a hurry.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
i sure hope hp doesn't start loading on the Palm devices all that crapware that it does on all its computers and man their printer drivers are blimps at 300-500mb!! be sure you don't plug in the usb cable before installing that printer bloatware... kaboom!

Status
Not open for further replies.