HP CEO: Android Will Become Closed Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Change for change sake. This sounds more like "Daddy, look what I can do!" than any sort of simplification for end users.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Maybe closed source isn't a bad thing. Think about it, Ubuntu is really nice, but you have to be a power user to get everything working right and you have to occasionally figure out problems with it. When you compare it to Windows or OSX, it is not nearly as solid.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Maybe closed source isn't a bad thing. Think about it, Ubuntu is really nice, but you have to be a power user to get everything working right and you have to occasionally figure out problems with it. When you compare it to Windows or OSX, it is not nearly as solid.[/citation]

Closed source prevents innovation. We'd still be stuck with Commodore 64's with that logic.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
So this is like in Rocky after he went down the second time and then got back up and started shouting at appollo creed "my momma can hit harder than that".

I like WebOS - Really! I just think it is a little too early to be trash talking an operating system that has done fairly well while your operating system has had numerous attemps and failed. To be honest, the last failure was all on HP, I think they gave up too early.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Meg Whitman is an idiot and is following the one that just left. Yes, Android is fragmented... but ICS should and future releases should tighten it up. Inteface skins is not a major issue, its the deployment of updates.

4 years we'll feel the effects of WebOS??? Really? I guess any day now we'll suddenly be hit in the face with the effects of Linux on desktops, Microsoft and Apple will be DESTROYED.

WebOS is at the best place to be for it to survive... open source. Its a tinkering OS... not much else.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom] I just think it is a little too early to be trash talking an operating system that has done fairly well while your operating system has had numerous attemps and failed. To be honest, the last failure was all on HP, I think they gave up too early.[/citation] HP did not give up early, they DON'T have the talent or culture to make WebOS successful. HP doesn't actually INVENT anything... they hand their specs to contractors to meet certain price points and out poops out a product from China.

WebOS is a good OS, not perfect - but for sure, deserved a better run. What I experienced with the Touch-pad was an unfinished product with crappy support and cheap materials. Palm is officially dead - the company that made PIM mainstream.

But Android and Apple will continue to improve their OSes and leave WebOS in the dust.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Android cannot be closed sourced, because it is based on Linux with is open source, using the GPL-2 copyright. Thinking you can take an open source program and make it closed source is either clueless and incompetient or lying - take your pick

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i would not mind if google stop offering android to other makers and just forcused it on motorola devices ... as long as they made sure the devices got updates right away and no carrier add on crap

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Richard_Nixon[/nom]Have own unsucessful OS.Complain about how bad sucessful OS is.= Woman logic[/citation]

u made one mistake... saying women use any logic

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]u made one mistake... saying women use any logic[/citation]
actually, your wrong, women do use logic, problem is that it based on a different set of rules than man's logic.

I second jeffunit's comment, also there is a plan (already started) to incorporate all android kernel changes into the mainline kernel thus making android keep up with current kernel and not lag so much back.

I do foresee google creating a closed OS later on based on the experience they acquired from maintaining android.

nycteris

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]i would not mind if google stop offering android to other makers and just forcused it on motorola devices ... as long as they made sure the devices got updates right away and no carrier add on crap[/citation]
That would just turn Android into Google-branded iOS.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
This coming from the brilliant minds that couldn't decide if they still wanted to make computers or not. From the people that decided to $h1tcan web OS 30 days after releasing their first product. From the a holes that decided personal printers cost $20, but ink costs $50.

I find it hard to believe pretty much anything from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.