Question HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479 : printing only from some programs

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
I recently installed HP M479.
PC has Win7 PRO installed.
Connection is by USB cable.
The allocated port is USB001 : Virtual port for USB
In Control Pannel there are no exclamation marks : I suppose there are no issues with installation.
Bidirectional support is enabled.
If I want to enable pooling, it is asking for more ports, I do not understand.

Installed drivers are for LaserJet Pro M478f-9f PCL 6 (V3) : ver. 48.4.4527.0 from 03-Mar-20 that seems to be the most recent.
USB printing support driver : 6.1.7600.16385 digitally signed by Microsoft Windows
Win-USB driver : 48.2.4483.1963 from 04-Mar-19 signed by Hewlett-Packard / Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
There are no issued signalled.

From some programs I manage to print (NotePad txt, images from ACDSee, most of the PDF files)
However, it doesn't print Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. documents.
Even the TestPage !! could be not printed.

Under Excel, it shows an error message :
Your file could not be printed due to an error on HP 479 on Ne05:. There are several possible reasons :
- memory size
- network connection
- loose cables

Might be with Letter / A4 size ? I put A4 papers in the printer, even so default settings show Letter.
I made possible for Word to make A4/Letter format resizing.

I do not know how to overcome this. I made several profiles in printer setting, I tried Letter and A4 documents, I checked / unchecked A4/Letter format resizing.

Please, kindly help me ! I am so desperate now.
Emma

As it seems, trouble is (only) Office related. I know it will sound silly, but..
Many years ago when I was on Win7 and used MS Office (forgot what version), I had similar problem. Solution for me was: install printer drivers first, set your printer as default printer and install Office after that.

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
As it seems, trouble is (only) Office related. I know it will sound silly, but..
Many years ago when I was on Win7 and used MS Office (forgot what version), I had similar problem. Solution for me was: install printer drivers first, set your printer as default printer and install Office after that.
Thank you, Bogdan !
The fact is that fter installing printer, it printed Excel.
But after some days ?? maybe becuase of some settings cahnged ?? it does not work.
I am desperate, I do not find the solution.

But after some days ?? maybe because of some settings changed ?? it does not work.
well, definitely something changed afterward.. you changed something in Printer properties/preferences that could cause that?
What I would probably do is, I would install some "virtual" printer, for example:
CutePDF
-don't forget to install AGPL Ghostscript first (download at the same page).
Now try to print to CutePDF from Office (which will generate PDF file on your drive).

What would that tell me? If Office "print" correctly to CutePDF, then there's something wrong with HP settings (I would assume). If Office won't print to CutePDF, then there must be some trouble with Office itself.

Just sharing my thoughts.

If your printer shows it's loaded with Letter paper you may not have set the paper size sliders in the tray properly. Check to make sure those are set and clicked into the right slots for the size. Also the page size is set to A4. There are lots of things you can check when you print to make sure it matches what you have setup.

Reactions: EmmaDobozi

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
well, definitely something changed afterward.. you changed something in Printer properties/preferences that could cause that?
What I would probably do is, I would install some "virtual" printer, for example:
CutePDF
-don't forget to install AGPL Ghostscript first (download at the same page).
Now try to print to CutePDF from Office (which will generate PDF file on your drive).

What would that tell me? If Office "print" correctly to CutePDF, then there's something wrong with HP settings (I would assume). If Office won't print to CutePDF, then there must be some trouble with Office itself.

Just sharing my thoughts.

I tried several "remove" & "instal" to different ports, again and again, in order to figure out the problem and settings that went wrong. I sucessfully !! killed the old HP 1100 model nr. C4224A printer's installation (yes, it is a 20 year old printer) but I made no attempt to reinstall till I do not figure out how to work with the new HP 479.

It seems now that the Antivirus has to do with my printing problem, but I do not know how to solve it.
I always install only drivers, manually -- I do this after a lot of bloatware was installed with a printer, long time ago. Not only installed, but constantly annoyed me after ; even after uninstall, lot of garbage was left.

My system is Win7 64 bit. I use McAfee Antivirus Enterprise 8.8 ; Scan Engine is the newest 6100 & virus definitions are updated.

After several attempts, just by chance I switched "Access Protection" to "Disabled".
I removed totally the HP 479 printer and restarted manual installation of drivers from a package containing drivers only. As Antivirus was no more in it's way (it seems) this installation was more successful, more "components" were installed.
Printing from Office programs was now possible (only Letter / A4 resizing is not correct).

But, as soon as "Access Protection" is set to "Enabled" : printing from lot of programs does not work anymore -- there is no spooling, the printing task just vanishes.
As I "Disable" it : printing is possible again.

I do not know how to make this "Access Protection" selective ; I figured out some log files of McAfee, but I do not understand it.
I am afraid to leave PC unprotected ; when I disable McAffe "Access Protection" I use to unplug Internet connection (maybe this is very stupid, but this is what I think that I should do).

I would be grateful someone would help me further.

Last edited: