HP Compaq 6005 Pro Video Problem...

Jun 10, 2018
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I am posting it here. I have an Hp Compaq 6005 Pro tower. For the longest time, it has been running a Radeon HD5450 video card with no issues. The other day it was in the middle of installing an update when Acronis True Image stopped the process to run a backup (it truly irritates me that software companies don't program their stuff correctly to prevent something like this from happening).

When the computer finally completed what it was doing, I had no video. So, since I have a few video cards on hand, I swapped out the card (first attempt was a GT 220). I installed the driver, but I could not set the resolution higher than 1024x768. I then tried a Radeon HD6670 - same result. Then I installed a GT 520 - same result.

I finally swapped out the monitor (it was a Planar PLL2410w) for an Acer 23". Now I can adjust the resolution just fine. However, when I hooked up the Planar to another computer, it worked perfectly.

I am completely at a loss as to where to go from here. I really want the Planar monitor back in place, as it is much better than the Acer. If anyone can offer any insight as to what I can try next, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. This particular computer is running an AMD Phenom II X3, with 4 GB of RAM. It is running Windows 10 1803, but it will not accept the latest Windows 10 cumulative updates (they always fail and Microsoft has no solution(s)). I don't think that is what is causing the problem, but I thought I would mention it.

Jun 10, 2018
Just an update. I did an advanced system startup, then went into System Restore (this had failed twice while booted into Windows). I was able to get it to successfully restore to August 13th. Once it rebooted, I installed the Nvidia GT 520 driver. However, it only gave me 4 resolution choices and the video was scaled down on the monitor (at any resolution, it had black all around the actual desktop).

So, I uninstalled the driver, then reinstalled it. It finally gave me multiple resolution choices. I then hooked the Planar monitor back up and it is working correctly for now. I would still like to know how this happened or what would have caused it. I am running chkdsk right now to see if there are any problems.