Question HP Compaq 6300 Fan Header

Ishan_3

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
I just bought a hp compaq pro 6300. I can't find the cpu fan header. Where do I plug in the heatsink fan cable? And how do I short the pins to jump start the motherboard? I checked the manual, but I couldn't find anything. Can someone take a look for me or tell me how to?
Thanks, have a nice day!

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
The CPU fan header is almost always above or to the right of the CPU socket, but on some OEM motherboards like the one you have it's sometimes in the top left corner for a "duct" style cooler. For the pins you have to short, if they're color coded, they're most often the red ones. If not, the power switch pins are most often the two to the side of the one that's missing.

May 8, 2019
CHFAN stands for "Chassis Fan." It could be the CPU fan header, but are you sure there isn't another header somewhere labeled something like "CPU_FAN?"

On the 6300 SFF version the CPU cooling fan isn't attached directly to the CPU heat sink, rather, it's cooling air is directed to the heat sink by a cowling. Looking at the manual though, both the MicroTower and the SFF have the same components.

The fan socket next to the CPU is labelled 'CHF AN' and my CPU has always been cooled by it.

There is a second fan socket towards the back of the motherboard labelled 'CF AN2' which the chassis fan on a MT would plug into. There is only one fan on the SFF.

I'm no expert, I'm only relaying the details I have on my 6300 SFF together with information seen in the manual for both versions.

All the best!