[SOLVED] HP Compaq 6500 Pro SFF PC upgrades?

synath

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
Hi there! I'm extremely sorry if I posted this on thread I'm not used to the forums on here. Anyways, a couple weeks ago I launched up my first ever computer and wondered if I could possibly upgrade it for better gaming/production performance? Its an old HP Compaq 6500 loaded with an Athlon II X2 CPU, with only 2 cores it struggles with recording video games and others, currently I have that and a gt 1030 installed. I was wondering if It would be possible to upgrade to a Phenom II X4 or X6 with this motherboard? I am unfamiliar with the name of it, I apologize. I was also wondering what would be good options for upgrades on the RAM and PSU (I'm not sure if you can fit aftermarket PSU's in office desktops like this one...). If anyone could help me answer these questions and let me know if its a good idea then please reach out! :)

Thanks and here's a picture of my crappy rig
View: https://imgur.com/roPMNJ6

Solution
i wouldn't bother trying to upgrade this thing.
cannot use 3rd party motherboards,
cannot use 3rd party power supplies,
can only use PCIe powered GPUs...

one option you have is to get a nicer 2.5" SSD to replace that old HD.
this could help speed up OS and application response a bit.

maybe start mowing some lawns or something until you can afford a modern system?
I'm extremely sorry if I posted this on thread
you should be able to hit the "! Report" option on the bottom-left of your post and request it be moved to the correct forum.

maybe start mowing some lawns or something until you can afford a modern system?
I'm extremely sorry if I posted this on thread
you should be able to hit the "! Report" option on the bottom-left of your post and request it be moved to the correct forum.

Solution

synath

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019

Correct. But if I were to swap the motherboard for something better shouldnt I still be able to plug everything back in and upgrade the cpu??