[SOLVED] HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form wont boot after BIOS change

Jan 14, 2019
Hi I really need some help here.
Im an IT Manager and I have worked on hundreds of systems. I acquired an HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form that I was going to connect to a TV for my family. I pulled the video card out since I wanted to use the onboard VGA. When booting the system up it beeped 6 times and then waited for 2 seconds.
I looked up this beep pattern and discovered that it means there is a video error. I put the video card back in and booted the computer up to a regular monitor. Everything was working fine. I wanted to use the VGA onboard for the video though so I went into the BIOS and disabled the PCI slot that held the video card in an attempt to get to read from the onboard VGA. BIIIIIIGGGGG MISTAKE. Now that I have done that the computer will not only ignore the onboard VGA but it wont recognize the video card in the PCI slot because I disabled all of them. I figured if I reset the CMOS it would put the BIOS back to default and allow me to try again however all methods of resetting the CMOS have failed.

I opened the system up after powering off and held the CMOS button for over 15 seconds. Booting up it still does the 6 beeps with no video to show so I cant get into BIOS.

This system does not have a regular CMOS reset jumper but it has a PWD jumper with only 2 pins. I followed the instructions on that and booted it with the jumper on just 1 pin. Booting the system after that again just beeps 6 times with no video.

I tried pulling the CMOS batter out for a full minute along with several other combinations of what was mentioned above. When I boot the system it just beeps 6 times and shows no video. If I could get the BIOS reset I could at least see video and troubleshoot from there but since the BIOS wont reset I cant get any video and the computer is basically a brick.

Anybody have any ideas what I might be able to do to get this computer to boot?

Thanks so much for anyones help.

I also added a link to the motherboard manual so you can see where I got the procedure
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02034672

Solution
Try pulling CMOS battery and leave it out for about 1/2 hour. And leave the system unplugged. Before plugging back in, or before putting the battery back in, press the power button a few times. Saw that trick work on an old dead laptop before.
Jan 14, 2019
I really wished that would have worked. I left the battery out for 45 minutes. Before plugging anything back in I pressed the power button several times. I still get the 6 beeps without video. I tried disconnecting the hard drive as well. No luck. I then tried disconnecting all power to the MB, taking the cmos battery out and letting that sit. Still no video. I wished there was a way I could plug another computer into this one and reset the BIOS from there. I dont think that is possible though.

Jan 14, 2019
I 100% agree. I hate HP systems. I have had problems with every HP laptop, desktop and printer. Not a fan at all. They are the only company I have ran into that makes their MB require an additional video card. If I unplug the CPU will that reset the BIOS at all?

Jan 14, 2019
so there is a chance if I change out the cpu I might be able to get it to use the onboard video? I'm not sure what kind of cpu is in it since when I first got the system I just looked at the specs and it said I5 I didnt go any further than that. I guess I could try and do that. Now here is a dumb question since an IT manager should know but would the computer possibly post if it had no cpu? or will it just not turn on at all if I do that? Thanks

I imagine it would spit back some type of error code from the board. I don't know what that code would sound like lol, but I am guessing you would get something similar to a no ram or no video code. I work in a helpdesk myself and have done repairs on the side for years, I don't think I've honestly ever tried that. In nearly 20 years of tinkering with systems lol.

Jan 14, 2019
Well I guess that's it then. I talked with 3 other computer professionals and I have exhausted all options. Ive already dumped several hours into trying to get this thing to work and now I see that motherboards for the PC are just $19.99 for a used one. Im just going to go that route. I know that the activation of Windows might be tricky after that but I think I can get it to activate following the instructions in this article.

https://scottiestech.info/2017/02/26/upgrade-your-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows-10/

Soooo...
My final thoughts. HP sucks. Dont ever play around with the BIOS on an HP machine. Something as simple as disabling a PCI slot will brick the machine since you cant even reset the CMOS. I will forever hate HP machines even more from this day on.

Thanks for everyone's help and a big thank you to Ohiou_grad_2006 for their suggestions.