Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Hello,
I bought a HP Compaq NX9010 from a company at a computer fair.
When I asked about a Operating System which is XP Pro corporate
edition he said if ever I needed to reinstall it, contact them and they
would do it for free.

I'm now worried if ever the company ceases trading I'll be left high
and dry. And as I've heard horror stories regarding how HP
configure PC's I'm wondering should the need arise, can I just
refomat and install a shop bought Win XP Pro or do I need other
HP software as well (apart from the drivers which are currently in
a folder and soon to be on a CD).

--
Centurion

Does your NX9010 have a Windows XP Pro certificate of authentication (COA)
sticker? If not, then you have gotten an illegal copy of XP Pro.

Did the seller give you a written statement telling you they would reinstall XP
Pro for free? If not, chase them down and ask for one.

Even if the system does not have an XP Pro COA, you would get one with a copy
bought in the store, and, yes, you can install a vanilla retail copy of XP Pro
on the system without any problem... Ben Myers