Question HP Compaq PC with an RX 570 GPU ?

Mar 14, 2023
Hi I know this is a really stupid PC I'm attempting to build but it kind of is my option right now, I got a cheap HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF Tower. It came with the following specs:
Core i5 2400 3.1ghz
8GB RAM
500 GB SSD
I added a RX 570 4gb

I didn't get a new PSU because I had an HP one lying around from a workstation.
It's this one exactly: HP L03088-001 - 400W Platinum Plus Power Supply for Z240 Workstation

Although I'm well aware that the RX570 needs a 500W + power supply, but I'm also sure that it SHOULD run the GPU with that 400W workstation PSU just to test the computer. I'm not putting any stress on the gpu with that power supply.

But when I boot the PC, the gpu fans spin, it shows me a blue light (which I'm sure means it's receiving power) and basically tells me there's no display when the hdmi is connected to the gpu. But when I connect the same hdmi to the motherboard it works fine.

The graphics card doesn't show up on windows device manager either, when I try to install drivers it just tells me that no AMD gpu is detected.

What could be possibly causing this issue? is it the motherboard because it's too old?

Hi I know this is a really stupid PC I'm attempting to build but it kind of is my option right now, I got a cheap HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF Tower. It came with the following specs:
Core i5 2400 3.1ghz

8GB RAM
500 GB SSD
I added a RX570 4gb
I didn't get the PSU because I had a HP one lying around from a workstation.
Power supply this one exactly: HP L03088-001 - 400W Platinum Plus Power Supply for Z240 Workstation

Although I'm well aware that the RX570 needs a 500W + power supply, but I'm also sure that it SHOULD run the GPU with that 400W workstation PSU just to test the computer. I'm not putting any stress on the gpu with that power supply.

But when I boot the PC, the gpu fans spin, it shows me a blue light (which I'm sure means it's receiving power) and basically tells me there's no display when the hdmi is connected to the gpu. But when I connect the same hdmi to the motherboard it works fine.

The graphics card doesn't show up on windows device manager either, when I try to install drivers it just tells me that no AMD gpu is detected.

What could be possibly causing this issue? is it the motherboard because it's too old?
Did you connect power to GPU ?
BIOS may need an update.

Mar 14, 2023
No, it's not going to work.

While that motherboard does not appear to have a whitelist for GPUs, its PCIe slot is limited to 25w so not even the 30w GT1030 will work in it.
The GPU was tested on my friends PC first, that means switching the motherboard will fix my issue?

The GPU was tested on my friends PC first, that means switching the motherboard will fix my issue?
You need a motherboard that can supply the standard 75w through the PCIe slot. The other 75w comes from the 6-pin power connector (RX570 is rated 150w total, and while some RX570 use an 8-pin connector like the 185w RX580 does for overclocking headroom, they cannot take 125w from the 8-pin and only 25w from the PCIe)

Mar 14, 2023
You need a motherboard that can supply the standard 75w through the PCIe slot. The other 75w comes from the 6-pin power connector (RX570 is rated 150w total, and while some RX570 use an 8-pin connector like the 185w RX580 does for overclocking headroom, they cannot take 125w from the 8-pin and only 25w from the PCIe)
Are you 100% sure this is the issue that's causing it to not work?
Because I looked up online and people are saying that it should get the remaining power from the PSU even if the PCIe is limited to 25W

Well you could probably ask on a BIOS-mod forum for someone to modify your vBIOS to run that way. But the normal way PCIe works is it boots at 25w, then a card may negotiate higher afterwards by identifying itself to the motherboard as a high-power device. It's the card that stops after this request is refused, not the motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS