[SOLVED] HP Compaq pro 6300 small form factor in bigger case psu and gpu upgrade

Jan 16, 2019
Hello,

I want to move all the parts in my hp compaq pro 6300 into a bigger case, upgrade the psu and gpu. maybe to 600 watts and gtx 1060. Can I do this? Let me know.

Solution
That small form factor motherboard does not fit standard retail bare PC cases. If you want to use the CPU, that may involve building a system around a CPU that you can buy on eBay for $30 and motherboards that use Socket LGA 1155. Such motherboards have been discontinued from production, so you would be looking at buying used stuff on eBay that uses socket size LGA 1155.
That looks to be a BTX motherboard. I don't think standard cases (designed for ATX) will have mounting holes in the right location. Also not sure about how expansion slot locations compare to ATX.

btx.png

Jan 16, 2019

Would you recommend I grab the cpu and get a new mobo instead?

That small form factor motherboard does not fit standard retail bare PC cases. If you want to use the CPU, that may involve building a system around a CPU that you can buy on eBay for $30 and motherboards that use Socket LGA 1155. Such motherboards have been discontinued from production, so you would be looking at buying used stuff on eBay that uses socket size LGA 1155.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS