HP computer memory rates low

greiner33

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I bought a d4999t from HP last month; Q6700, 2 Gb PC-2 800 MHz, Vista home Premium, etc... I looked into overclocking this system, however, the motherboard is a generic HP ASUSTek and there is nothing in the BIOS to change. My problem seems to be the when I ran SANDRA's benchmarking suite I get pretty good numbers for everything except for the memory benchmarks. I downloaded CPU-Z and it shows the memory is running at 333.3x2 MHz. HP's information said that this memory will run at 800 MHz and I even went and bought 2x2 Gb Corsair, same specs as above. I benchmarked the original (Hyundai) memory alone, the Corsair alone and all 4 sticks combined. All 3 benchmarks show the same 333.3 MHz. I have now exchanged 4 emails with HP's support. First they said I was imagining this. Secondly they said that I had bought the wrong memory and this morning they wrote back and said it basically does not matter if I get my information from SANDRA and/or CPU-Z because these are third party to HP and they do not recognize their results. :pt1cable: I bought an extended warranty and in my latest email to them I demanded that they come and fix my computer's problem or else tell me which benchmarking utility I can use to confirm my results. BTW, I am using SANDRA's professional business suite. As to my choice of computers, I will not buy a Dell, Gateway has a bad rep and I wanted more than a generic would give me this time. As to a build my own, I have done that in the past, however this old man is not getting younger and besides my hands shake and wouldn't that be fun attaching all those parts to the motherboard and all. Any ideas? HP calls this motherboard burbank and there is no information on ASUSTek's site about it. With this last email to HP I asked for the schematics to burbank, and if necessary I might be able to do the right jumpers to get me back to 800 MHz. :fou:

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Lol, that is why everyone here build their own computers instead. :na:

Anyway, that memory is ddr2, so it's 333.3x2 mhz, instead of the 400x2 (800mhz), which is what it's supposed to be. So it's still running below specs, just not that far below. If your motherboard bios don't let you change anything, and you can't find more info on it, you might need to buy a new motherboard. Either p35 or x38 chipset will do. P35 is cheaper and is good for low and moderate overclocking, x38 perform better and is necessary for high oc. CPUZ do not lie. HP lies. See under the motherboard tab in CPUZ and see what's displayed.

greiner33

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I'm confused; which memory do you say is 333.3 MHz? All of them say that they are PC2-6400 800 MHz with the CPU-Z screen. Lol, I would show those however I can't get Prt Scr to copy to this post. I admit it; I am a noobie. As to your request about the motherboard, I'll write everything that CPU-Z shows;

Manufacturer; ASUSTek
Model; Burbank 1.01
Chipset; Intel P35/g33/g31
Southbridge; Intel 82801r (ICH9R)
BIOS
Brand; AmericaN mEGATRENDS iNC.
Version; 5.05
Datel; 12/06/2007
Graphic Interface
Version; PCI-Express

greiner33

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Link Width; x16 Mac. Supported; x16

Again, CPU-Z says that I am running 667MHz whereas the sticks should run at 800 MHz.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
dood.

1. hp comps are crap no matter how you slice it.
2. if you wanted to overclock, then you needed to build it yourself.
3. if you didn't know numbers 1 and 2 then you dont need to be building anything yourself.

Valis

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
look at your bios settings. what voltage does your memory need to see to run at 800MHz? what voltage does your board provide?

If you got it just last month, might be able to return it. tell them its is't running at the speeds its supose to and your not getting the technical suport you need to make it work.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
For some reason your mobo is running your memory at 667MHZ instead of 800 where it should be. This is most likely a problem with the mobo. Good luck getting HP to do anyting about it.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

All DDR2 run at the same voltage (1.8 VDC) so changing the voltage will do nothing to get it up to 800.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
the board probably can't run the memory at that speed, anyway, 1:1 ratio is the best. you probably can't even adjust that on an HP, Dell, Etc..

don't worry about it so much, your not losing any performance (okay maybe like <5%)

Im guessing that you took those readings while idle. Speed step is likely kicking in. Whats your CPU multiplier, Memory multiplier... heck just send us cpu screen shots please.

Either disable speedstep, or take the readings while your cpu has a moderate load and report here again.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

I could be wrong about this but I don't believe speedstepping technology affects the speed of memory.

TRENDING THREADS