[SOLVED] Hp D7 Black screen, won't boot.

Nolandc

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
I Have an older D7 Laptop that will not boot. On Boot the fans speed up for several seconds then stops, the screen remains black, and the Caps/Num lock are blinking (once per 3 seconds). Looking up the blink codes for "Computers released before 2015" I found that 1 blink indicates, CPU not functional. After replacing the CPU, I'm still getting the same blink code. Is there a chance the motherboard socket is not good? Would it then not give a blink code for the board itself?

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Look videos how to do it, there might be 2 chips in question. Northbridge and amd graphics chip, or only amd gpu depends on the board. DO not reflow the southbridge and always remove tapes near the chip and cpu from the board,also remove cmos battery.,

For first try (to verify probem is inside chip) its not the solder cracking most likely. Use only like 100-150c which wont even melt solder but can "fix" the issue temporarily if its inside the chip.
Look videos how to do it, there might be 2 chips in question. Northbridge and amd graphics chip, or only amd gpu depends on the board. DO not reflow the southbridge and always remove tapes near the chip and cpu from the board,also remove cmos battery.,

For first try (to verify probem is inside chip) its not the solder cracking most likely. Use only like 100-150c which wont even melt solder but can "fix" the issue temporarily if its inside the chip.

Solution

Nolandc

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014

Ok, I'll try reflowing the Northbridge. I don't think the GPU is a problem, GPU has it's own blink code (4 blinks) I'm not getting. What about the CPU socket itself, is that reflowable with the plastic on it? (The CPU isn't directly soldered, it has it's own socket.)

Ive had dv5 6 7 series laptops with 1 blink code,2 blink code and 3 blink code, almost every time its either northbridge or gpu. Thing is the "fix" might not work at all or fail in couple of day up to a year or more. Its just temporary with these laptops unless you replace the chip (nb or gpu depending on issue)

Just trust me, ignore the "cpu" blink code i had this exact problem atleast 5 times, only 1 of those times it was actually cpu related. You can do light reflow for gpu and nb, then test. If it suddenly works you can do it better or just keep using it until it fails.

Nolandc

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Ive had dv5 6 7 series laptops with 1 blink code,2 blink code and 3 blink code, almost every time its either northbridge or gpu. Thing is the "fix" might not work at all or fail in couple of day up to a year or more. Its just temporary with these laptops unless you replace the chip (nb or gpu depending on issue)

Just trust me, ignore the "cpu" blink code i had this exact problem atleast 5 times, only 1 of those times it was actually cpu related. You can do light reflow for gpu and nb, then test. If it suddenly works you can do it better or just keep using it until it fails.

Alright got ya. I'll reflow and post back with results.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.