HP Debuts a Handful of Ultrabooks and an AMD Sleekbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

$599 for AMD sleekbook in late June and $699 for a sleekbook with Ivy today. Interesting... the actual ultrabooks go up to $1k (but have all the ultrabook parts like hybrid drives or SSD caches, thinner, lighter, thunderbolt??).

kylecates

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Sorry, I had to do a doubletake. I thought they said SkeetBook.[/citation]

Yes, the successor to the FapTop.

G

How is HP's record with Graphics drivers updates? Do they use OEM customizied graphics drivers that have to be downloaded from HP, or do they use the GPU manufacturer's genaric graphics drivers, which can be downloaded from the GPU manufacturer's website?

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
[citation][nom]LikeToKnow[/nom]How is HP's record with Graphics drivers updates? Do they use OEM customizied graphics drivers that have to be downloaded from HP, or do they use the GPU manufacturer's genaric graphics drivers, which can be downloaded from the GPU manufacturer's website?[/citation]

I have always upgraded my gpu driver from Nvidia's website. My laptop has Nforce 300 with a Geforce 7200. And that is without reinstalling. And I just did a clean install with Win7 and did not need a single driver from HP for everything to work.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]NoviceFool[/nom]Troll, is beats audio the same as Dre' Beats?[/citation]
Yes it is, beats is the brand and it was developed in partnership with Dr. Dre.

[citation][nom]LikeToKnow[/nom]How is HP's record with Graphics drivers updates? Do they use OEM customizied graphics drivers that have to be downloaded from HP, or do they use the GPU manufacturer's genaric graphics drivers, which can be downloaded from the GPU manufacturer's website?[/citation]
HP does not make graphics drivers (and God help hemanity if they ever did). They provide a release driver when the product launches, but you can always replace it with the driver from the GPU manufacturer's website.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]NoviceFool[/nom]Troll, is beats audio the same as Dre' Beats?[/citation]

I totally thought you were insulting the guy but the question didn't fit the insult. Then I read his username and it all makes sense.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Sleekbook? Horrible name. Good news is that it's AMD, it costs less, and probably has better graphics. As long as the benchmarks on the Trinity APU'S are respectable I'll go with whatever they want to call it. If it performs well they could call it a Potatobook and I'd probably buy it. After all, what is in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.I

swimomatic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Where is the 1080p screen? I'm tired of these Ultrabooks releasing with specs that my 2 year old netbook have for screen resolution. It's ridiculous to even try and release a screen that size that isn't at least 1600x900.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
[citation][nom]zippyzion[/nom]Sleekbook? Horrible name. Good news is that it's AMD, it costs less, and probably has better graphics. As long as the benchmarks on the Trinity APU'S are respectable I'll go with whatever they want to call it. If it performs well they could call it a Potatobook and I'd probably buy it. After all, what is in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.I[/citation]

If it's powered by a potato, wouldn't you assume it can run GLaDOS?

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]beats audio isnt all that great[/citation]
+1
My Envy 14 Beats can't even match my brother's $300 Toshiba
Beats Audio is just another "$100 brand sticker"

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]beats audio isnt all that great[/citation]
I feel your pain. Reviewers are totally obsessed with super slim and light notebooks so manufacturers end up neglecting the audio experience in order to stay in game. No matter how expensive the notebook is - good audio output is still restricted to loudspeakers and external audio cards.

G

Suddenly the potato namebrand sound just fine....
yum...crunchy and salty.....

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]HP does not make graphics drivers (and God help hemanity if they ever did). They provide a release driver when the product launches, but you can always replace it with the driver from the GPU manufacturer's website.[/citation]

What could the worst happen if they did make their own drivers? It's so much fun reinventing the wheel, maybe they could outdo AMD's driver department!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]If it's powered by a potato, wouldn't you assume it can run GLaDOS?[/citation]
lol i wonder when we'll start posting "Can it run GLaDOS?" instead of Crysis on Tom's. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.