HP, Dell and Asus Consider Ultrabooks without Optical Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
It would suck if your boss uses CD's to give you presentations on.

I know a few people that still rely on CD's for mass distribution (of WORK files) because they are too scared to make the change over to servers..

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
*applause*
Only a minority of users need optical drives these days. The majority of laptop users carry an optical drive with them every single day even though they've never even used it once.
The space&weight of the optical drive could be put to much better use.

Weren't ultrabooks always supposed to be without optical drives anyway? How else are you going to stay within the size, weight and battery life limitations of the "Ultrabook"?
(lol @ OS X spellchecker not recognizing the word "ultrabook" :D)

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Then get them a USB drive for the occasional moments you need an optical drive... or teach them how to use an USB stick...

And I thought ultrabooks were by default without optical drives to save space and weight...

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]*applause*Only a minority of users need optical drives these days. The majority of laptop users carry an optical drive with them every single day even though they've never even used it once.The space&weight of the optical drive could be put to much better use.Weren't ultrabooks always supposed to be without optical drives anyway? How else are you going to stay within the size, weight and battery life limitations of the "Ultrabook"?(lol @ OS X spellchecker not recognizing the word "ultrabook" )[/citation]
This is not a move to get rid of DVD drive for ultrabook but for full size laptop (Macbook Pro). I hate to see users loose the option to put a caddy in the DVD bay for anther HDD. I hope the manufacturer will use that space wisely (2 HDD bay for laptop below 16 inch) and not just waste the free space.

alterecho

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
But is there a cheap physical replacement for discs? I love buying boxed games with the manual and all.
I don't want to be reliant on the internet for downloading games since the internet is erratic in my place.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]This is not a move to get rid of DVD drive for ultrabook but for full size laptop (Macbook Pro). I hate to see users loose the option to put a caddy in the DVD bay for anther HDD. I hope the manufacturer will use that space wisely (2 HDD bay for laptop below 16 inch) and not just waste the free space.[/citation]

they wont waste it... see... 1mm thinner... they are eliminateing it...

thanks again apple for the thin war

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
In the near future everything will be based on either Thumb drives or SD Cards. Thumb Drives and SD Cards can not only hold a lot more data then your standard optical CD- or DVD disc but are also a lot more smaller and alot more durable. In the next 10 years optical drives will be almost non existant.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Lightweight laptops have released without optical drives for many years now. Manufacturers are "watching" Apple on this one, my ass. To suggest Apple is leading the way on this, is nothing short of absurd. Especially with ultrabooks.

Lookup some current ultrabooks for a moment. Dell XPS 13, ASUS Zenbook UX31, and so on. Find me a single ultrabook that has a freaking internal optical drive.

"Notebook manufacturers such as Dell, HP and Asustek will follow Apple's lead"... what kind of uninformed BS is this?

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Our Lenovo x2xx series do not come with optical drives, and only come in the base as an option where I work. Generally we have had people who have needed optical drives to simply get a nice external USB slim line for about $40 bucks. Otherwise they don't use them. So it is not like Apple was the first in this case...

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Lightweight laptops have released without optical drives for many years now. Manufacturers are "watching" Apple on this one, my ass. To suggest Apple is leading the way on this, is nothing short of absurd. Especially with ultrabooks.Lookup some current ultrabooks for a moment. Dell XPS 13, ASUS Zenbook UX31, and so on. Find me a single ultrabook that has a freaking internal optical drive."Notebook manufacturers such as Dell, HP and Asustek will follow Apple's lead"... what kind of uninformed BS is this?[/citation]

Look at the release dates of the units you mentioned.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Lightweight laptops have released without optical drives for many years now. Manufacturers are "watching" Apple on this one, my ass. To suggest Apple is leading the way on this, is nothing short of absurd. Especially with ultrabooks.Lookup some current ultrabooks for a moment. Dell XPS 13, ASUS Zenbook UX31, and so on. Find me a single ultrabook that has a freaking internal optical drive."Notebook manufacturers such as Dell, HP and Asustek will follow Apple's lead"... what kind of uninformed BS is this?[/citation]
Convincing the world that Apple didn't invent the "Ultrabook"-type form-factor with the MacBook Air is going to be an uphill battle. Your time is likely better spent elsewhere me thinks.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I dunno. Maybe for some users it'll be fine but I still need to use my optical drives pretty regularly on my work laptop and I get really irritated when I need one on a machine that doesn't have one. I'm sure optical drives will eventually go the way of the floppy but it might be a little too early yet to do away with them just to gain a 1mm.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Convincing the world that Apple didn't invent the "Ultrabook"-type form-factor with the MacBook Air is going to be an uphill battle. Your time is likely better spent elsewhere me thinks.[/citation]
How about when Mitsubishi and HP joined forces an released the Pedion in 97? Not only that this laptop was thinner than the original macbook air.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Look at the release dates of the units you mentioned.[/citation]
I don't think he's stating that those laptops were launched earlier than the air, but commenting on the title of the news, correctly stating that ultra-books sold from these companies already come without optical drives.

The news is about these manufacturers thinking of dropping the optical drive on their more normal laptops not on ultra-books since these laptops already don't have it.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]How about when Mitsubishi and HP joined forces an released the Pedion in 97? Not only that this laptop was thinner than the original macbook air.[/citation]
The Pedi-what?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]How about when Mitsubishi and HP joined forces an released the Pedion in 97? Not only that this laptop was thinner than the original macbook air.[/citation]
The Pedi-what?

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I have one external USB DVD drive at home which I use for my laptop/desktop whenever needed (it's been collecting dust for about a year now). None of my computers have an internal drive and it's perfectly fine.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
We just got a couple HP Ultrabooks without optical drives at work. The person I gave it to didn't even ask about the lack of one. These days I rarely do a program install with disc. It's either off a server or with a USB flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.