HP Deskjet printer won't print black

Carol

I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.

I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks

"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.

Start by disconnecting the computer and doing a simple diagnostic print as
shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N1017E

If this prints a simple nozzle pattern of black, cyan, magenta and yellow then
the problem may lie with your driver.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@posting.google.com>...
> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>
> Thanks

I don't know much about this particular HP printer but the newer ones
come with new heads on the cartridges themselves. However, you did
say that it is an old printer so are the heads on the printer itself
(likely) or on the cartridge? I had an Epson printer at one time
which did exactly the same thing and it turned out that the printing
head for black was plugged up. That's the nice thing about the new HP
printers (mine anyway), you throw the head away with the cartridge and
install a new one every time so chances of them plugging up are slim.

Carol wrote:

> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>
> Thanks
Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?

Carol

tomcas <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message news:<CjhLc.65325$S45.7685436@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Carol wrote:
>
> > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
> > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
> > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
> >
> > Thanks
> Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?

Yup

Carol wrote:
> tomcas <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message news:<CjhLc.65325$S45.7685436@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
>
>>Carol wrote:
>>

>>>I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
>>>stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
>>>cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>> Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?
>

> Yup
Did you try the self test as suggested by Bob?

Carol

googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@posting.google.com>...
> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>
> Thanks

Never mind. I bought a new printer yesterday. Just can't do without
a printer for too long.

By the way I did do the print test and no black appeared. Mostly like
it was a clogged print head, although I did try cleaning it. Anyway
printers are pretty cheap so what the heck............