Question HP Desktop Unresponsive after start?

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
HP TE01-1044, Windows 11 2H22.

Just had some sort of power outage in my surge protector. Its light went out and so did the computer and phone, but nothing else electrical in the house went out. I put the protector back on and restarted the HP. All that I got from the monitor was Window's opening screen (blue with bluish/white ribbons, and the time and date appearing center top in large white letters.) This is what I usually get on start up, but there is no field to enter my PIN and the computer is completely unresponsive to the keyboard or mouse. HP only is responding to the On/Off button. Help, please. Thanks.

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Found part of the problem, but I think the computer may be headed south.
I have an Anker USB hub, and the USBs in it were not lit. When I finally got them to light, the computer did go on and asked for my PIN. The PIN opened windows 11, but either it would take a long time for things to open (or I didn't have the patience to wait), or when they opened they didn't quite function correctly and only the Task Manager would close them. As for the length of time things took, it was like maybe re-indexing, or trouble finding the target??? I have no expertise here and just guessing.

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
After trying a lot of things without success, I finally was able to shut the PC down and let it rest overnight. The next day, today, the PC strted up and I got into Windows OK. but there were several problems like some programs would not start (others would,) and in some instances files were very slow to populate. So, after a while, finally I ran a whole set of HP diagnostic tools. Everything associated with the HP was given a Pass, except that I needed an update to my BIOS. Normally, I would not have done it, but I had no choice. And, lo and behold, the PC is now running better than ever.

TRENDING THREADS