HP Desktop won't power on.

nowayhaze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
After using some compressed air to clean out some dust from my HP Pavillion a6242n, my computer no longer powers on.
The green light on the power supply is on but when I press the power button, nothing happens except the green light goes off (even with only the mobo connected and all other devices disconnected).
I've used a multimeter to check the PSU and the Power button and they are fine.
I checked the motherboard and saw no signs of damage, but could it be that my mobo is dead now? How can I know for sure? And could there be something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

My computer:
HP Pavillion a6242n
Mobo: MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
RAM: 3GB DDR2(2x1GB+2x512MB)
Graphics: MSI Nvidia GeForce 210
PSU: HP-D2537F3R 250W

nowayhaze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
yes I have, to no avail. Just to be clear, no fan or anything turns on when I press the power button now. The only thing I notice is that the power supply green light turns off and stays off until I unplug the power and re-plug the machine back in.

nowayhaze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I have noticed something interesting, I tried disconnecting the 4 pin ATX connector and pressed the power button, and I think the fans and drives start up, but nothing boots up. This leads me to think that it could be a CPU-Mobo error. (when I reconnect the 4 pin ATX cable nothing goes.

Any ideas?

nowayhaze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Checked the fan, doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it because with or without the CPU only when I unplug the ATX12V 4-pin cable do the fans turn on. Otherwise, nothing boots.
I think it has to do with the 4-pin connector on the motherboard, but I have no way of testing if that is true.

jyhshiarn

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Sadly, the same story happened to my HP Pavilion desktop, too. I googled and found your posting one year back. Just check if you eventually found and fixed the problem? Thanks.

Jyh-shiarn