Review HP Dragonfly Pro Review: Pretty, but Problematic

So the only "major" gripe is the battery drain when you put the laptop to sleep... That's it?

Also, I am starting to tell people to forgo using USB-A and go all in on USB-C with adapters for their USB-A ports. This is the same thing with CD/DVD readers on laptops and computers: let's just get moving on with the times. USB-C connectors are what we need NOW and not tomorrow. Praise laptops for packing a lot of them and treat as a minus going forward having USB-A ports instead.

As for my take on the laptop itself, well, my GF has an HP Envy with a 7th gen i5 and a 350MX; quite good unit for the price back then, although I had to change its battery as the previous one got "fat". Anyway, still horsing along after swapping the original SSD for a nice Crucial P5. This thing strikes me as a better unit from the "grunt" and battery life perspective, but unnecessarily bulky/bigger.

If Aya can pack the 6800HS/773xU in a handheld, I don't see why HP can't put it in an ultra light like the Envy line. Missed opportunity.

Regards.

Reactions: 10tacle

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
HP doesn't seem to have a very good handle on the laptop consumer market needs/desires IME. This has been an issue for years.

The constant battery drain problem goes back at least three generations of CPUs. HP refused to even acknowledge the issue until it was documented by reviewers. I do not know if they ever provided a fix for older model laptops as BIOS updates did not fix the problem.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
May I recommend including ease of disassembly/service. For example I've seen HP and Asus laptops where you need to remove the motherboard to change the CMOS battery or a hard-drive.
Also HP uses super cheap plastic that bends and breaks easily.

May I recommend including ease of disassembly/service. For example I've seen HP and Asus laptops where you need to remove the motherboard to change the CMOS battery or a hard-drive. Also HP uses super cheap plastic that bends and breaks easily.

Well if you are that curious about the tear down/upgrade/replace situation, download the service manual from HP's support site. That's what I always do before choosing a new laptop. As for HP's cheap plastic. I can attest to that having bought one of their ~$500 (USD) mid-ranged ones 15" last year. When taking it apart I had to be very careful with removing the bottom cover to upgrade the M.2 SSD and memory. It felt like one slight pull in the wrong direction would split it in half. Never had that with my Dell and Lenovo laptops along the same tier range. Also, when opening the lid, it is very flimsy. Finally, I will say that only with HP have I had cooling fans fail far too early, like within the first 1-2 years of ownership. It is not an uncommon issue.

Reactions: dimar
Sep 30, 2023
Battery drain in sleep mode is a Windows problem not really an HP problem? Not sure why criticize this laptop for something that's a Windows issue?