HP DV6000 power on issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

psarchotic

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I have a HP DV6000 Laptop. Im aware of the problems these models have. But this one I have not yet heard of. When I attempt to power it on, the lights turn on for 2 seconds, and it shuts right off. Its not like the Video card issue everyone speaks of. I have extensive technical background, and I have tried taking everything out, and trying each part one by one. I have tried swapping the power button ribbons, I have tried removing the bios battery. I guess im wondering if anyone else has ever been able to figure out whats going wrong with this setup? copuld it be a lack of contact between heat sync and CPU? please give me whatever input you can. I would like to not have to spring for a new Mobo. I can solder, and I am thinking of trying to heat the soldering points with a heat gun maybe. I dont know if thats the problem tho. Thanks!!!

Oh, and also, when the AC adaptor is plugged in, the blue LED surrounding it is on.

about 3 years back I had the exact same problem with a gateway notebook I had. I wasn't able to figure out the problem. I sent it back to gateway, but I never knew what they did. I think they replaced the motherboard.
Sorry I can't really help you any more. The best I can suggest is to reseat all the components. CPU, RAM, etc

psarchotic

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
OK, SO ITS FIXED. I took a hairdryer to THE MOBO for about 20 minutes to try and re-condition the solder on the board. I added more thermal paste to the CPU, and did the penny trick with the GPU, and surprisingly enough, IT WORKED. thing started right up. it killed the mini-PCIe slot tho, cause now the wifi card does not work. Tried a diffirent wifi card, and that dosent work either. Oh well. Right now, im using a USB wifi adaptor, and im gonna invest in one of the mini pcmcia ones for the slot on thefront. Thanks again for all the advice. Saved alot of money. Lets see how long it lasts now.

engbyrew

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Hi psarchotic,
Sorry if this is an old thread, but you fixed the exact problem I have (HP dv6000 starts to boot for about 1 second, then shuts down, all power and lights off).
Is it still working?
Do you have any advice for me to do what you did? How do you think I could avoid frying the PCI mini? What parts did you heat up? Do you think it was actually overheating in less than 2 secs boot up time?
I am an engineer/tech with extensive soldering, etc experience.
Thanks,
EngbyREW

engbyrew

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Hi,
Not sure if you are getting this as a direct e-mail or only through the forum.
I'm looking at the same problem you seemed to solve on your dv6000.
Wondered if it is still fixed and if you have any tips for me to try on mine.
Thanks.

Bythe sea

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
My HP DV6000 has the same problem of not powering up when I press the power button. It has not pulled the "turn on for 1 sec" trick yet but it defenitely has the " press power on button up to 20 times before it powers on" problem.
What sometimes seem to help is I take out the battery and disconnect the power, then it starts up.
Does anyone have less drasting answer than Psarchotic that I can try?

G

You can try the following;

Run the laptop without a battery:
1. Take out the battery and the power cord.
2. Now try re-connecting the power cord, as you put the power cord into the laptop you you should get a quick flicker on the screen, as you see the flicker press and hold the power button for few seconds and the laptop should power up.
3. However if you leave too long after the flicker or connecting the power cord to the laptop, it will not start up.

Run the laptop with the battery alone (without the power cord).
Do the above step except with a battery in step 2 - i.e. as soon as you put the battery in, press the power button until it turns on.

bear in mind the above will only work with either the battery or power cord alone. It won't start up with both Battery and Power cord connected.

Once the laptop has booted up you can connect the battery or power cord (which is not connected already) and work.

Hope this helps.

No I don't know what causesthis porblem, my guess would be the motherboard is messed up and it requires a jump start.

Starcat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
A common problem with that model is the wifi card all of a sudden stop working. This is because of the GPU overheating and taking out the wifi card because it sits right below it. The only 2 ways to fix this is either re-balling the GPU or getting a USB wifi adapter. I picked the latter because it was simple and it worked better than the internal card anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.