Hp dv6t vs dell xps studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all. I'm comparing the HP dv6t Quad vs. Dell's XPS Studio 16:

The HP dv6t Quad ($1,273.99)

# Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
# 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
# 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
# 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
# 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
# 12 cell battery

The Dell Studio XPS 16 ($1,724.00)

# Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
# 6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
# 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
# ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB
# Full HD Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1920x1080) W/2.0 MP
# 9 cell battery

Both to run Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Both with Microsoft Works

Other info: I'd like to do some gaming, definitely video editing/production and watch Blu-ray. Also... typical office apps, and photo manipulation. I like to keep my hardware for five years, buying the best available architecture, but not necessarily the top of the line in performance (so I get longevity but don't pay a huge premium for extra speed I may not need). This notebook will also be (eventually) a desktop replacement. I intend to avoid buying any more towers to save room in my house and provide mobility and less clutter.

I have a houseful of Dells, but now I'm wondering if the XPS is worth $450 more than the dv6t. Fyi, buying on Dell's Web site has become a nightmare of missing images, site and page (XML) errors, a broken sales chat, and wish-list items that disappear and reappear. Also, comparing across Home and Small Business is not reliable.

I've used nothing but Dell for 10 yrs, but now seriously considering the alternative.
Thank you,
Dave

Solution
In terms of bang for your buck, the HP is probably the route to go. If an extended warranty is offered for a fair price, get it. Some have had good luck with HP's, but I haven't. The Dell is alright, but I agree that it is overpriced. Might as well save some cash.
In terms of bang for your buck, the HP is probably the route to go. If an extended warranty is offered for a fair price, get it. Some have had good luck with HP's, but I haven't. The Dell is alright, but I agree that it is overpriced. Might as well save some cash.

Solution
G

Thank you guys. I decided to shift gears a little and look at the larger 1080p displays.

I compared the HP dv7t ($1,459) vs. the Dell Studio 17 ($1,594).

To make a fair comparison between the Dell and HP, I added an HP extended 2yr warranty for $90, which narrowed the cost gap. The Dell was still $135 more, but I chose it for the faster GPU, the backlit keyboard, and the nicer 1080p display. All the other important specs were the same. Also, I'm more comfortable as a long-time Dell customer.... I haven't heard great things about HP customer service; Dell is a mixed bag, but it's the devil I know.

This is what I got for $1,594 (after some cajoling):

Studio 17 Laptop
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz
Back-lit Keyboard
17.3” Full HD (1080p) B+RG LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
500GB SATA HDD (7200rpm)
Slot Load Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio
Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-card
Microsoft® Works 9
McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-Months
85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

Of course, the prices could go down and down as we get closer to year-end. Who knows????

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS