Hp dv7-3008tx with [gt 230m] change to what???

onbacardi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hi,

I have purchased this laptop ---hp dv7-3008tx with [gt 230m]--- over 1 year ago. I am running win 7 x64. And just last night an optional update came down on my tray from windows saying I can update my Nvida driver so I decided to update it and it was all done automatically so it was defiantly the correct driver.

After updating I restarted the computer but I get black screen!

I can still see the win 7 logo booting up but then when it suppose to log in to windows it goes into a black screen.

I can also boot in safe mode and that works fine screen comes on.

Also I did a restore to before installing the 230m drivers and it works fine.

And then I decide to install the drivers again and read everything and make sure it is the right thing and
after installing them I get the same problem.

Sorry for the long story.

Any suggestions or any solutions besides going back to the 2 years old drivers!

onbacardi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I look at my driver version and its 24-08-2011, Version: 8.17.12.7600.

but the file name i downloaded and installed its from Nvidia website and its called: 280.26-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql

in my tray there is a Nvidia Settings icon and when i click there and i go to Updates on the toolbar it says Graphics Drivers Version: 276.00 and if i click update and try update it through there it takes me to download and install the Version 280.26.

So after installing that and restarting the comp thats when the black screen happens.

(note: does not happen on safe mode)

onbacardi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
If I cant find a solution to this problem I think ill just upgrade my graphics card sooner than I thought. I thought of grading it since the gt230m its not good for me (to slow cant handle most games). Plus I just got the Samsung 40" LED tv so I want better graphics.

Any recommendations?? whats the best graphics card my laptop can handle without over heating or having problems in the long run.

TRENDING THREADS