[SOLVED] HP Elite 8200 compatible RAID Card?

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Friends I have a couple of HP Elite 8200 SFF that are very useful hardy older systems, and I'm needing to add-in a RAID card and was thinking of one of the Dell-rebranded LSI cards - . 2 Questions I can't find clean answers to:
  1. in the past, HP has been "one to watch out for" in adding components as they employ hard whitelisting for some items. My guess is that will not be an issue but can someone advise me? Apparently the LSI-rebranded-as-Dell cards can be flashed with either LSI-provided firmware or Dell.
  2. The PCIe slots on Elite 8200 are 2.0, not 3.0. I am trying then to avoid 3.0 spec cards but are these backward-compatible to 2.0?

And if you HAVE a Raid card on one of this family of systems that you really recommend, I'm ALL ears... want to get this project moving

Solution
Ive never done anything with firmware on any of them, and for setup i just boot into the raid card before windows and set the drives up. I run a combination of OS's for the cards server 2008 R2, 2016, and windows 10.

For the servers i dont worry to much on heat for the cards, there is plenty of air movement in the case. For the windows PC i have a small 80m fan pointed right at the card. I havent had any issues with the PC computer, its running 5 ssd's in raid 0 with BlueIris recording 3 cameras, and 3 8TB drives in raid 5 for my steam library backup and other doc backups.
I have a few LSI MegaRaid 9260-8i cards at home, can be picked up on ebay for around $30. one i use in a dell T5610 the other i run in a HP DL380 gen8 server, I also have a LSI 9260-16i card for my home server.

I have a couple older Gen 6 HP servers that have LSI cards in them but not sure what they are off hand.

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I have a few LSI MegaRaid 9260-8i cards at home, can be picked up on ebay for around $30. one i use in a dell T5610 the other i run in a HP DL380 gen8 server, I also have a LSI 9260-16i card for my home server.

I have a couple older Gen 6 HP servers that have LSI cards in them but not sure what they are off hand.

thanks for this. Does the software & firmware for these [via Broadcom?] deliver with an interactive console or will I need to command-line admin? I assume you imply you're using these with Windows Server xxxx
Also I read of concerns with heat buildup??? What's your take on that? I'm just doing 2 drives in a SFF form [good airflow for a desktop which is one reason I favor this older design] but this will be headless, unwatched by the user most of the time, thus a concern

Ive never done anything with firmware on any of them, and for setup i just boot into the raid card before windows and set the drives up. I run a combination of OS's for the cards server 2008 R2, 2016, and windows 10.

For the servers i dont worry to much on heat for the cards, there is plenty of air movement in the case. For the windows PC i have a small 80m fan pointed right at the card. I havent had any issues with the PC computer, its running 5 ssd's in raid 0 with BlueIris recording 3 cameras, and 3 8TB drives in raid 5 for my steam library backup and other doc backups.

Solution