[SOLVED] HP Elite Book overheating after windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I have a HP Elite Book 2540P(i5 560M) that has an overheating issue that started after Windows 10 installed updates. Laptop was fine when I last used it(last year), and was fine while windows finished installing updates(from when I last had it on), but after updates finished and windows rebooted it over heats now. Once windows loads, laptop only stays on for 4-5 minuets than shuts off. Checked CPU temps with open hardware monitor, and temps steadily climbs to 104 which results in the laptop shutting off Thinking it was a hardware issue, I booted into Ubuntu, and the overheating seems to be gone, idle temp are 55-60 and peak around 87/88 under full load(played a 4K YouTube video to max out both cores). So far with Ubuntu, the laptop has stayed on for 20min. I've cleaned all the vents and heatsink/fan with canned air and no difference, laptop still overheats with windows 10.

Solution
You should make sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date. If you have a number of BIOS versions to go through, make sure you work through gradually until you get to the latest. What version of Windows 10 are you on? I would advise on changing the thermal paste on the cooling assembly(only paste not the pads) to aid with heat transmission.

The laptop obviously won't have drivers meant for Windows 10 but you can source said drivers from HP's support site(for your laptop) and then install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. You can also try compatibility mode, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows x(from the drop down menu).

To note, that processor is very old, I've had...

Lutfij

Titan
You should make sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date. If you have a number of BIOS versions to go through, make sure you work through gradually until you get to the latest. What version of Windows 10 are you on? I would advise on changing the thermal paste on the cooling assembly(only paste not the pads) to aid with heat transmission.

The laptop obviously won't have drivers meant for Windows 10 but you can source said drivers from HP's support site(for your laptop) and then install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. You can also try compatibility mode, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows x(from the drop down menu).

To note, that processor is very old, I've had trouble working with an i3-2100(desktop platform) and I thought I was ruining my time, given how much time it took to update the OS while on said processor(yes I was on an SSD and a 16GB ram kit) so it's the OS not liking the older gen hardware.

Solution

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

To note, that processor is very old, I've had trouble working with an i3-2100(desktop platform) and I thought I was ruining my time, given how much time it took to update the OS while on said processor(yes I was on an SSD and a 16GB ram kit) so it's the OS not liking the older gen hardware.
The bios is already up to date. I just changed the thermal paste and so far it hasn't over heated, but temps still get kinda high, did a stress test with CPU-Z and got high as 94. Interestingly, before replacing the thermal paste the CPU was always 10-15 degrees higher than the other, and it's only 2-3 degrees higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.