[SOLVED] HP EliteBook 840 G3 Audio Problem

MatthewJamess

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020
My laptop had been working great for a couple or years now, but it started having problems a few weeks ago. It started with my discord mic sounding awfully, so I opened HP Assistant to check for any problems and updates. I had many updates to download, but the important for this issue is an Audio driver update: “Conexant HD Audio Driver”, SoftPaq: sp111438, V: 10.0.4561.126

This update failed to install, and after that happened, my 3.5 jack headphones stopped working. They are detected when plugged in, but when I play any audio in the laptop, it gets played on the built-in speakers instead. I have tried to install this driver about 6 times now, but it always fails. I tried a crappy USB headset and it works perfectly.

I can’t understand if the problem has to do with the physical plug or the software, because the headphones themselves are detected when plugged in, and even show up in audio software.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be the problem?

Solution
First off, make sure that your laptop is on the latest BIOS version. You can cross reference HP{'s support site for your laptop to see if you have BIOS versions pending. If you do have BIOS updates to go through, don't jump to the latest, gradually work your way to the latest BIOS version. If you're unsure of what BIOS version you're on, use CPU-Z>Mainboard tab>BIOS section to tell you. Next up, check and see what version of Windows 10 you're on.

Following the above, uninstall your audio drivers, then manually reinstall said driver(assuming you have the latest sourced from HP's support site for your laptop) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, make sure that your laptop is on the latest BIOS version. You can cross reference HP{'s support site for your laptop to see if you have BIOS versions pending. If you do have BIOS updates to go through, don't jump to the latest, gradually work your way to the latest BIOS version. If you're unsure of what BIOS version you're on, use CPU-Z>Mainboard tab>BIOS section to tell you. Next up, check and see what version of Windows 10 you're on.

Following the above, uninstall your audio drivers, then manually reinstall said driver(assuming you have the latest sourced from HP's support site for your laptop) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps.

Solution