Question HP Elitebook 840 G3 motherboard faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2019
Hi,

I bought a used HP Elitebook 840 G3 on ebay. It came as untested, without a Hard Drive.
When I first started it, it gave me a series of POST beeps - 2.2, followed by 3.2. I identified the beeps as corrupted bios and faulty ram. I replaced the ram and the beeps stopped. Now when I turned it on, the keyboard backlight went on for a moment, then turned off, followed by the laptop turning itself off shortly after.
I created a bios recovery flash drive, using an HP setup filed, popped it in and started it, while keeping windows+b pressed, the method outlined here https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833#usbrecovery
The laptop now stayed on, the fan started running, but nothing else happened. The USB drive blinked for a second when I turned the laptop on.
I left it like this for several hours (apparently flashing the bios can take up to 40 minutes) but still, no change. The screen backlight went on, but the screens remained black and nothing else happened.
I changed the cmos battery, tried resetting the cmos, nothing happened.

I'm guessing the motherboard has a fault somewhere, but that's really where my expertise ends. I have no idea how to even check the motherboard for faults, or where I should look. I'm willing to learn, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you source the right BIOS from the product support page on HP? Meaning did you use the same SKU/serial number to identify the laptop on their support page. Which BIOS file did you source from HP's support page?

Also, the board could just be faulty after a liquid spill/damage which is why it was sold off...?

Sep 17, 2019
Yes, I sourced the right BIOS, using the serial number. The Bios is N75_0147

I have no idea why the laptop was sold off, it was sold by a reseller who simply listed it as untested.

Status
Not open for further replies.