[SOLVED] HP EliteBook 8470P or HP EliteBook 8560w for cyber security?

Sep 4, 2019
I'm currently studying Cyber Security and wanted to buy a computer, as i can't work with my Toshiba (i3-2328m 2.2 Ghz, 4gb Ram) and i have found 2 used laptops for ~$236 each (converted from our currency). Please help me decide which one is for me (I have to work with VirtualBox and run multiple machines at the same time and so). Here are the details.

HP Elite Book 8470P -> 8gb RAM, 240gb SSD, i7-3740QM (2.7 - 3.7 Ghz) 6M cache, Integrated graphics, 14" Screen, Optical Disk (✔)

OR

HP Elite Book 8560w : 16gb RAM, 240gb SSD (or 500gb HDD), i7-2820QM (2.3 - 3.4 Ghz) 8M cache, Nvidia Quadro 1000M 2gb, 15.6" Screen, Backlit Keyboard, Full HD 1920:1080, Optical Disk (✔)

Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Nmopt
Solution
The battery drain is irrelevant due to battery life span. They probably both drain as fast now because they arent new. Yes, the 8560W could drain faster new, but the 8470P also doesnt hold onto that battery as good as it was new.

Considering, they both drain as fast (is what I think) Its not about battery size or capacity, but their life / health.
Sep 4, 2019
HP Elite Book 8560w is the best value of both by far (if they are the same price) . It has double the power and performance.
I bought the HP 8470P. 8560W drains battery faster and is heavier and has weaker processor. I wanted to go with it but then changed my mind then. Battery life + mobility + fast computer is what i was looking for. Only the drawback is the integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000).

Reactions: Nmopt

Nmopt

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I bought the HP 8470P. 8560W drains battery faster and is heavier and has weaker processor. I wanted to go with it but then changed my mind then. Battery life + mobility + fast computer is what i was looking for. Only the drawback is the integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000).
Generally its a less-valued laptop than the 8560W, but of course, everyone has different needs.

BTW, all second hand laptops have <Mod Edit> battery, so that really wont change a thing. Don't forget this fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2019
Generally its a less-valued laptop than the 8560W, but of course, everyone has different needs.

BTW, all second hand laptops have <Mod Edit> battery, so that really wont change a thing. Don't forget this fact.
Yes, i do know. I didn't mean the laptop i bought has better battery (probably has) but 8560w drains battery faster and isn't easily portable + has weaker processor. Hope you understood now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nmopt

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
The battery drain is irrelevant due to battery life span. They probably both drain as fast now because they arent new. Yes, the 8560W could drain faster new, but the 8470P also doesnt hold onto that battery as good as it was new.

Considering, they both drain as fast (is what I think) Its not about battery size or capacity, but their life / health.

Solution
Sep 4, 2019

Yeah, but still the 8470P has better battery health compared to the 8650W.

8470P : proc-wise almost no different to 8560w, gpu is worse, ram is worse, display is smaller
8560w: proc-wise almost no different to 8470p. gpu is better, RAM is better, display is larger , a bit older
--> 2820qm and 3740qm are not that different. I hated Intel for doing this for several proc generations.
Battery for both laptops suck! Even if both are new. Both are not very different in this term.
Buying a new battery on any of those laptop is a must tho' :)
I would rather pick 8560w.,

I know quite well, I used both of them until the beginning of last year.
Now, I am now on ZBook 15 G5

Reactions: Sega97