Question HP EliteBook 8560w thermal throttle, motherboard issue?

ShantMcGant0

Reputable
Apr 22, 2016
Hey, I have an HP 8560w that started giving me thermal throttle issues. I opened it up cleaned it up, repasted the CPU/GPU and replaced the fan. I still get thermal throttle on start up and the fan does not spin. I noticed while investigating that there seems to be a burned out chip or resistor near the fan plug in. Just looking for some advice if it's at all fixable or is it time to retire the laptop?

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/xDTQ8zn

Attempt to add the picture but wouldnt let me sorry.

ShantMcGant0

Reputable
Apr 22, 2016
Did the old fan also not work? If not there may be someone that can fix this chip, you'll have to check around your local computer shops to see which one may have a soldering station setup for this or if you need a new motherboard.

So the fan was working on and off before being replaced. The new fan attempts to spin up and stops, nothing appears to be blocking it from spinning. What I'm basically trying to see is if it is a simple fix that someone has dealt with before or is it worth putting in a new motherboard at probably $40-50. I figure repair would be around the same price. Considering the age of the laptop just trying to get thoughts if it's even worth putting more money into it?