[SOLVED] hp elitebook 8760w cpu n gpu heating issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
recently, hp elitebook 8760w (17inch) laptop is having heating issue , even though the laptop is on a table and i have kept books in the center to keep it ventilate and above the table and sides are open for vent purpose..
using speccy, with chrome, wifi, avast on only. (no gaming or office)
Summary
Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz 55 °C
RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) (2gbx2 + 4gbx1)
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 1630 (CPU 1)
Graphics Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) and 2047MB NVIDIA Quadro 3000M (HP) 68 °-70 C
Storage 465GB Western Digital WDC 45 °C

I have no idea why it is heating up and during fortnite it goes over 80 degress for cpu n gpu.
Can you please guide me what is the reason and how to solve so i can have a normal temp when no playing games.
Also for some reason my laptop give me static when power is connected.

Solution
i read that you may able to change sata 2 to sata 3 from bios, on hp forum.. is it true.
Unless you have the ability to produce new hardware (the chips that make up the laptop) you absolutely CANNOT change anything from SATA2 to SATA3. Period. People can post whatever they want, wherever they want, it doesn't make it true. We're done here.
Wow, I think you pretty much have a twin of my HP. :D

I don't use it for gaming, but I know it can produce some heat when stressed. Check if hot air is blowing out the vent on the left towards the back and make sure nothing is blocking the air intake on the bottom. Those books if in the wrong place will actually make things worse.

Also, what do you consider as being 'hot'? I know mine turns into a small heater when doing video streaming with the camera so that's just part of the older processor getting taxed.

When (if ever) was the last time the heatsink was removed, cleaned and thermal paste reapplied?

I too have one of these and have seen that the factory paste, in addition to being sloppily applied, doesn't provide very long lasting results. This model tends to run hot under load anyway.

Reactions: vampelle

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
When (if ever) was the last time the heatsink was removed, cleaned and thermal paste reapplied?

I too have one of these and have seen that the factory paste, in addition to being sloppily applied, doesn't provide very long lasting results. This model tends to run hot under load anyway.

ok can u please confirm if this have sata port 3. as right now it showing sata 2 only

Status
Not open for further replies.