Question HP elitebook laptop "Keyboard lamp" Won't Close

Feb 14, 2022
It's starting to get concerning about how much I post here, because a lot of the time people come here for a one time thing, but I just keep coming back here problem after problem, knowing that nobody will find the answer. Every time I start a thread I get a complaint about posting too much and then I reply to them just saying I want an answer, but then it just goes completely off topic and I lose the whole conversation.

Anyways...

Tonight I popped open the little pop-up lamp that's built in right next to the webcam of my HP elitebook 2740p. (If you moderators are reading this, I used WinToUSB to make a live usb for the laptop since the hard drive won't work) When I tried to close it, it would close all the way but wouldn't STAY closed. Does anybody have a similar problem, OR, a fix?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Do you mean the HP night light? its meant to light up keyboard.
looks like its meant to just go back into the space it pops out of.

i see it here about 5 minute mark

it might be worn out, maybe get replacements?

ex_bubblehead

Champion
The latch for the light is part of the display bezel. When it was a current model and parts were available from HP it was a total lid replacement as it's a sealed module with no individual parts replacement within. As old as that model is it isn't worth the effort or expense.

ASK THE COMMUNITY