Question HP Elitebook X360 1030 G2 Motherboard Issue ?

Marky000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
I had a customer who wanted me to replace the keyboard for this laptop. Original symptoms were keyboard and touch pad not working. Also the Caps Lock light was always on and couldn't be turned off. I think there was the very occasional freeze of OS but it was rare.

I had to replace the entire Keyboard and Palmrest case seen here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Q7IAAOSwaZhgS2WW/s-l1600.jpg
After doing so, the same symptoms remained. No keyboard or touch pad and Caps Lock always on. As before, the laptop otherwise works normally. USB ports and SD card etc all work as well. Since keyboard assembly replacement the laptop did crash once (according to the customer) where there was consecutive beeps and a black screen.

Customer doesn't care about the touch pad but wants the keyboard working. Googling the issue, there is hardly any posts that describe these exact symptoms. Most cases online refer to a black screen and a blinking Caps Lock key and maybe some audible beeps if the laptop doesn't boot etc. In my case, the laptop does boot up fine and mostly operates normally.

The customer did mention an accident involving some water but she couldn't be more specific. Something about finding some water underneath the laptop. If this was the case, it is somewhat odd that the Keyboard and Touch pad are the only components that failed and yet the connectors to these components sit above the level of the motherboard itself. One would think the motherboard would have other issues going on.

Anything else to try? I am pretty sure I tried the discharge method of holding the power button down whilst the battery was removed. Can anyone confirm that a Caps Lock that is always On = motherboard issue?

My thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Marky000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Just phoned the customer and apparently some other tech had a look at it and got the keyboard working. So strange as I was very careful with re-assembly. However, the touchpad still doesn't work and the Caps Lock light is still on. So, it is fair to say that there is a bigger issue still lurking.

Jul 10, 2022
Did anyone ever get a solution for this? My laptop (same model) has the exact same problem without the spilling water part. It just happened overnight.

It turns on and I can use the touch screen but the mousepad and keyboard isn't working at and the caps lock is constantly on without blinking even when the computer is off.

Nov 7, 2022
Hi Jimmie, were you able to get a workaround? Having the same issue with mine too (same model) except it's the numlk key and the laptop gets really hot.
Yea! It also discharges.