[SOLVED] HP Elitebook x360 830 --- USB-C Ports Fried by Charger?

Dec 13, 2020
I have an HP Elitebook x360 830 G6 laptop. Last night the battery ran down and without thinking or checking compatibility, I plugged into the 65w charge port on my son's Aukey Omnia dual-port charger, model PA-B4 (a very nice little charger from the looks of it). It charged up fine.

But when I tried to use the USB-C port for docking, use of various USB devices, etc. in the morning, the port was dead. So was its “sister” port right next to it on the side panel. (Other USB devices work fine in the laptop's older-type USB port.)

The HP’s normal AC 65-watt charger is rated for 19.5v@3.3 amps. I see that the Aukey PA-B4 is rated at up to 20v@3.2 amps.

I do not see the HP Elitebook listed in any Aukey product descriptions or Amazon product information as HP Elitebook compatible.

My company’s tech support department believes that I may have “fried” my USB-C Ports by using this charger. Do you think they may be right? Thanks.

Solution
Yes they may be right that the USB C port is dead due to the charger, you used the charger, right after things stopped working, that is a pretty big clue. That little of a difference really should not have done anything to the system but it's still possible. Did you try resetting the motherboard or the BIOS?

We use 3rd party USB C chargers at work with our systems and it works fine, interchange Lenovo and Dell chargers, so far nothing has been fried due to that.
Yes they may be right that the USB C port is dead due to the charger, you used the charger, right after things stopped working, that is a pretty big clue. That little of a difference really should not have done anything to the system but it's still possible. Did you try resetting the motherboard or the BIOS?

We use 3rd party USB C chargers at work with our systems and it works fine, interchange Lenovo and Dell chargers, so far nothing has been fried due to that.

Solution
Dec 13, 2020
Resolution: We ended up resetting / updating the BIOS and all USB and Thunderbolt drivers. That did the trick. No more non-HP chargers for this laptop! Thanks.