Question HP Envy 15 Laptop Shutting down just after boot

Sep 5, 2021
Hello Everyone!

I have 6 year old HP Envy 15 j048tx (i7 4700, Nvidia 740M, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM). The laptop trips within 2 minutes of starting up.

I assumed it must be due to low battery and so, I charged it for 30 mins and then, with Adapter attached, I tried to boot it again but this time too it turned off within minutes and started booting again. It came to a point where, the Windows Logo would come up, and as soon as "Diagnosing your PC" message would come, it would just trip again and then would try to boot.

The Laptop does so with/without the Adapter. I can assume that the trip sound is from Hard-disk which stops receiving power.

If I place the laptop in front of an AC, it runs more than just booting (atleast for 5 mins before it trips again).

I went to a local service center and got it cleaned and repaired (he did clean the fan and re-applied thermal paste) but the issue is still there. They said its mostly due to Nvidia Graphics card (740M) and they need to either change the motherboard or they can try working on it which may lead to dead Motherboard :(

What I did:
  • Booting into minimal safe mode, still it rebooted without anything.
  • I was able to uninstall all Nvidia related drivers using DDU in safe mode and also disabled the "3D video Controller" from device manager but still it wont fix.
  • If I try booting Ubuntu, the homepage stays for 3-4min after which a multi-coloured display appears and I have to hard-reboot the laptop.
  • The device turns off after some time even in BIOS mode. At this points, horizontal lines appear instead of reboot.
NOTE: Laptop doesnt auto reboot in last 2 cases (atleast for 5 mins)

Some Screenshots:

When I tried booting Ubuntu LiveCD

2. Entered BIOS and kept laptop for 5 mins without touching anything

Does this mean there is an issue with Nvidia or the Internal HD Graphics of processor ?

Requesting inputs from you all. I can try to get windows event viewer logs but I am not sure what exactly to search for.

Regards,
HesoyamHH

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you've removed the internal battery for the laptop(not CMOS battery) and have the laptop hooked to the wall adapter and it shuts off on it's own, all while you've done a maintenance run inside the laptop(removing the vents off of dust/debris) then the issue is hardware and due to the nature of the components being soldered onto the motherboard(except the processor), you're as good as getting a new motherboard.

The fact that the laptop doesn't like it when in BIOS is an indication that the motherboard has a power delivery issue or rather an issue where the heat isn't being managed, ie. the cooling assembly isn't sitting flush with heatware.

Reactions: HesoyamHH
Sep 5, 2021
If you've removed the internal battery for the laptop(not CMOS battery) and have the laptop hooked to the wall adapter and it shuts off on it's own, all while you've done a maintenance run inside the laptop(removing the vents off of dust/debris) then the issue is hardware and due to the nature of the components being soldered onto the motherboard(except the processor), you're as good as getting a new motherboard.

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I have done the exact same thing. Got the laptop serviced (internal cleaning) and then tried booting without battery while it was connected to external power supply (adapter).

The reason I asked this question here even after getting feedback from service center was because I couldn't trust those guys as they were blaming everything on Nvidia card for those multicolor/horizontal display error, even though the display was connected to Internal HD Graphics of processor (Saw the display port config in Nvidia Control Panel)

As the system was rebooting even with Ubuntu LiveCD, I thought that the issue was with Intel chip (processor+internal hd graphics) instead of Nvidia GPU. Let me know what you think about that.

The fact that the laptop doesn't like it when in BIOS is an indication that the motherboard has a power delivery issue or rather an issue where the heat isn't being managed, ie. the cooling assembly isn't sitting flush with heatware.

It it possible to fix such kind of power delivery hardware failures or new motherboard is the only option ?

Sep 5, 2021
Thank you @SamirD for taking time to reply to the thread

Have you tried connecting the laptop to an external monitor while it is booting, leaving the cover closed so that the internal screen isn't used? I'm suspecting this will work without garbaling.
I haven't till now.
I will see if connecting to an external monitor will produce a different graphical error as the Laptop display is connected to Intel HD Graphics but HDMI is connected to Nvidia GPU.

This is a good bit of diagnosis--what exactly what the cold air from the AC blower hitting? Whatever that area of the laptop was, that's where there's a heat issue that's causing a problem.
I have window AC and so, I kept the laptop on a stand in such a way that the cool air from AC hits the base of the laptop directly from where the fan pulls air inside... This way I was able to keep the laptop up for approx 1hr... (didn't try to play games or do anything intensive, was backing up all the data). I am not sure which component is being cooled as I continuously ran HWMonitor to see if CPU/GPU/HDD was reaching high temps but all were around 30 degrees which is why I am not able to pinpoint the issue

When I tried to run some benchmark tests to see if it goes down.... it ran for 5 mins after which the laptop started rebooting again. So I did hard shutdown and then placed the laptop on the stand for 10 mins so that all components would cool down again. After that, laptop started normally without any issue (in front of AC). But as soon as I moved the laptop away from AC (to a different room), it started rebooting again (even in BIOS) :(

I will see if connecting to an external monitor will produce a different graphical error as the Laptop display is connected to Intel HD Graphics but HDMI is connected to Nvidia GPU.

I have window AC and so, I kept the laptop on a stand in such a way that the cool air from AC hits the base of the laptop directly from where the fan pulls air inside... This way I was able to keep the laptop up for approx 1hr... (didn't try to play games or do anything intensive, was backing up all the data). I am not sure which component is being cooled as I continuously ran HWMonitor to see if CPU/GPU/HDD was reaching high temps but all were around 30 degrees which is why I am not able to pinpoint the issue

When I tried to run some benchmark tests to see if it goes down.... it ran for 5 mins after which the laptop started rebooting again. So I did hard shutdown and then placed the laptop on the stand for 10 mins so that all components would cool down again. After that, laptop started normally without any issue (in front of AC). But as soon as I moved the laptop away from AC (to a different room), it started rebooting again (even in BIOS) :(
You're welcome. :)

If indeed the internal display runs off of the igpu and hdmi is off the nvidia, that would be interesting. But I think that the nvidia will be used dynamically or for the primary display and the igpu would not be used at all because the nvidia is present. Hence the test because if the external is also scrambled, it could mean that the nvidia is bad, but if it works fine, then it could be just something on the internal display vs the nvidia.

Interesting and that's how I would have done it too--guide cold air into the laptop's built-in cooling. What that tells me is that it is probably a motherboard issue since some other component is failing when it gets beyond a certain temperature. I still think the cpu swap is worth a shot though because a motherboard swap generally isn't cheap at all.

Sep 5, 2021
What that tells me is that it is probably a motherboard issue since some other component is failing when it gets beyond a certain temperature. I still think the cpu swap is worth a shot though because a motherboard swap generally isn't cheap at all.
Yeah, I was trying to find out which component gets heated up other than CPU, GPU, Hard-disk and RAM on motherboard but I wasn't able to find anything :(

Ofcourse, everything gets heated as each component on motherboard works but as cooling is provided only to 2-3 components, It is difficult to pinpoint which one trips the motherboard.

Also, as the laptop is 6 year old already, I don't think I will be able to find cheap replacement of that motherboard. Instead of buying $250, I would just get a chromebook as the laptop is now only used for browsing and movie watching by my family.

Also, as the laptop is 6 year old already, I don't think I will be able to find cheap replacement of that motherboard. Instead of buying $250, I would just get a chromebook as the laptop is now only used for browsing and movie watching by my family.
You will be surprised at how cheap a 'parts' laptop can be when you're not looking on ebay, etc. I've gotten parts laptops for free before. :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY