HP Envy 700-414 does not POST, fans max out, CPU fan continues to spin after holding the power button

e_racer

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Story time of how I got my hands on this HP Envy 700-414 (feel free to skip)

So I picked up this desktop for a killer deal ($150 USD) on Craigslist and the guy gave me a even further deal because he couldn't find a wall outlet power cable ($125, LOL).
Dumbass me wanted to get his PC fast so we met at a Starbucks, I opened the PC, saw everything looked good and made the deal. Coming into the deal, I knew this would still be worth my money since the CPU itself is worth my paying price (assuming that the CPU is not dead)
Once I got home, the internals of this PC smelt like smoker's lung-cancer filth (please don't smoke near your PC, or at all kids) and was a tad dusty despite the guy saying he had dusted it, which would have been REALLY bad before. And finally, will I report the guy/spam his phone number in retaliation? Probably not.

Story time over. Here is the more important info:
Specs:
i5 4570
IPM87-MP H87 motherboard
12GB RAM (8gb and 4gb stick)
2TB HDD
CD drive
400-something HP PSU (has 2 6-pin connectors, amazingly)

Symptoms of the problem:
When booting up the PC, all the fans, max out RPM and there is no display on the screen. Hard drive and CD drive seem to work with audible sound, but there doesn't seem to be blinking for the HDD LED. There is no "beep" from the on-board speaker. And after holding the power button the CPU fan continues to spin indefinitely. Only way to fully shutdown the system is to pull out the power cord. Immediate culprit to initially blame is the motherboard.

Troubleshooting so far:

1) RAM has been tested with 3 different sticks, each in a single slot. The 4gb stick and 8gb stick that came with the PC, and a 2gb stick pulled from Athlon II x2 system. Also tested the PC without RAM. Same symptoms.

2) The OEM power supply seems to be just fine. The green LED in the back turn on when it is plugged into the outlet. But I went ahead and tested 2 other sketchy PSUs laying around. Still does not boot, same symptoms as above.

3) CD and HDD were unplugged from the SATA and SATA power cables while doing combinations of step 1 and 2.

4) CMOS battery was removed and jumpers were switched to the other side of the pins. I did not look up how to reset cmos for this mobo model so that probably did nothing.

5) Both on-board DVI and VGA connectors on the motherboard were tested. still no display. Also put in a dedicated GPU, still no go.

6) Made an account and first post on Tom's hardware to ask for help.

TLDR: PC does not POST, CPU and single case fan max out and after holding the power button the CPU fan still spins, although slowly. Based on the symptoms, the motherboard seems to be the issue.

This is my first post here and I hope someone may be able to assist me.
There didn't seem to be many threads with the HP 700-414 so I hope this can help someone in the future!

I will keep this thread updated once we find a fix.

Thanks m8s

Solution
Get some thermal compound, remove the cpu cooler and see if the cpu is even in there. If so then remove it and check for bent pins. Post a pic if you're not sure.

e_racer

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
I forgot to mention that I also removed the CPU and checked for bent pins. The stock thermal compound was still on the cooler, I could tell by the edges. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS