HP envy dv6 black screen, caps lock blinking, and f12 amber light on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hello so I opened up my HP dv6 to blow out the dust. I was extra careful and was watching a video on how to do it. Well after reassembling the laptop the screen never turned on but the caps lock is blinking every second, and the f12 key has a amber light on. I can hear the fan starting and stopping (i think it is doing that) and I can hear the hard drive running. I tried using another monitor plugged into the laptop nothing. also the windows + b key doesn't seem to work either so I am really confused to what happened.

Any ideas?

Solution
HP Pavilion's have a known issue with the graphics chipset in the DV5,6, and 7 models. The little heatsink pad that they incorporated in the design is not the most efficient thing in the world and it dries out fairly quickly. This can cause the GPU to burn out and unless you are really good at soldering a new one in I would recommend just replacing the board.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from xmorisx : "HP envy dv6 7245us black screen caps lock flashing"

xmorisx

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
So the external monitor doesn't work is it a GPU problem?
Or could it be because I removed the cmos battery and added it after.. so it cause everything to disappear.

No, taking the battery out and then putting it back in shouldn't cause this. Unless of course your battery is toast. Then it 'might' be a factor. I still wouldn't rule out the graphics card though. Not when both the attached display and the external monitor won't work.

John_513

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
HP Pavilion's have a known issue with the graphics chipset in the DV5,6, and 7 models. The little heatsink pad that they incorporated in the design is not the most efficient thing in the world and it dries out fairly quickly. This can cause the GPU to burn out and unless you are really good at soldering a new one in I would recommend just replacing the board.

Solution

Ryan_218

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
I had the same issue (HP 15) but only thing is that i didn't open my pc.... was trying to find a solution online but found none.
i finally decided to open the pc Clean it and remove the bios battery and let the PC stay for about 10 mins. then i put it back to gather. it came up. i restarted i a couple of times and its working... but it came up with the date it stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.