HP Envy DV7 7205tx build

May 6, 2020
Hi everyone, my first post here so I hope I am doing this correctly.
I am rebuilding my faithful HP Envy DV7 7205TX, I have replaced the 32gb on board msata with a 128gb card, maxed out the ram at 16gb and have replaced both hdd with 1tb ssd.
I have just ordered a backlit keyboard to replace the non backlit one and now I am looking at the cpu and wifi card.

I'm pretty sure my unit was lucky enough to miss out on HP's wifi whitelisting, so finding a wifi card shouldn't prove too difficult.
However where I'm getting nervous is with the cpu as besides the ssd drives it is the single most expensive part and I don't want to get it wrong.

After digging around I have come to the conclusion that the most powerful cpu that "should" work is the Intel Core i7-3840QM, however at around $300 it is still quite a bit of money to spend on what is now considered to be an old laptop by modern standards, but it shares the same socket and is at the top of the list for compatibility with the Intel HM77 Express chipset without increasing the cpu voltage.

I can't find much info on people upgrading this model laptop, so any info you guys could give me would be helpful.

Last edited:
i7-3840QM is supported in the manual : http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03591253 page 85
So no bios modding required

When you change cpu clean all dust well, use isoprophyl alcohol 90+% to clean the heatsink well from old thermal paste and also gpu die. Buy "thermal grizzly kryonaut" its best non conductive thermal paste.
This should help with high temperatures your getting from switching to this processor (TDP is higher 45w)

Another way to release temperatures is free the dedicated gpu from working that hard (they share same heatsink) and get egpu from expresscard slot. This is however optional, im just worrying about gt 650m failing at some point laptop isnt new anymore. There is more ways to deal with high temperatures like modifying case or adding thermal pads to transfer heat to front / backplate.

Always buy laptop cpu:s from aliexpress to save money, here is a reputable seller : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

May 6, 2020
Just squeezing every last little bit I can out of this unit so I can live with it for another 5 years or so.
I plan to use an external gpu for gaming eventually, however my primary use for it is editing video.

Lets say that first part that will fail is the gpu on this laptop no question about it. Giving it a break and using eGPU is your best bet.

However this applies only if your using external monitor on the laptop. Using internal monitor with egpu can be quite tricky with express card / miniPCIE (wifislot) connection.

Used power supply, exp gdc beast , used gtx 600 / 700 series card can be quite inexpensive setup. Around 100$ total depending on power supply quality and what graphics card. I would actually do that before updating processor.

May 6, 2020
You're right about that, I'm just doing the cpu now while I have the thing in pieces to avoid disassembly again later.

Even 137$ is alot of money for that system. But you cant get that cpu any cheaper than that. The egpu i was talking about you can use the power supply and graphics card in new system so its not really "waste" of money.

Is your GPU gtx 650m soldered to the motherboard or is it a removable card with a connector? If its integrated on the motherboard then i would make eGPU setup because when 650m fails you have a death motherboard (potentially)

Here is EXP gdc : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Pick the expresscard version if you plan to get eGPU. Just a heads up it is not problem free, getting it work requires some time.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS